From: Jay Iyer <jayiyer09@gmail.com>
To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: How to extract TODOs from date-tree
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 2014 08:28:45 -0700	[thread overview]

Thorsten Jolitz <address@hidden> writes:

>* Jay Iyer <address@hidden> writes:*
>
>*> Hi Thorsten,*
>*> The file entries are as follows and the task/note/project sub-heads *
>*> generally don't have active/inactive timestamps except when a *
>*> scheduling/deadline is specified.  Thanks.*
>*> ** 2014-10 October*
>*> *** 2014-10-01 Wednesday*
>*> **** TODO first task*
>*> **** General note entry*
>*> **** Project                  :prj:*
>
>* I just read the term 'datetree' again in another post, maybe I'm not*
>* up-to-date and it is idiomatic Org-mode use, then sorry for the noise ...*

I don't think it's well documented (I couldn't find a reference in the
manual) or well supported. org-capture does provide for it (see the doc
for org-capture-templates) but afaict that's the only significant use of
it - org-agend uses it for diary-related stuff and org-archive has to be
able to archive it and that's it. The (rather thin) support for it is in
org-datetree.el.

If there are use cases out there, it might be worth collecting them and
then thinking about how to support them better. If there aren't, maybe
it should be thrown out.

--
Nick

I think removing support for date tree would be very disruptive, at
least for me. Datetree is the fundamental structure of my Org files (I
have two Org files: work and a personal journal) as I use capture
templates for almost everything with the captured items filed neatly
in the date trees and this structure provides a better sense of life
flow for me.  I rely on Agenda and sparse trees to extract the
info/tasks/projects list.  Please keep date tree intact.  Thank you.

-jay