* Re: using org-refile to sort research notes?
@ 2014-05-05  6:17 Jay Dixit
From: Jay Dixit @ 2014-05-05  6:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

Richard and Alan,

Thanks for the feedback. It looks like this is turning into a larger
discussion of how to organize a workflow for writing a book. Which is great
- I could use some insight. My problem is I have dozens of disparate files,
each created in a different moment of inspiration and each containing
notes, strategizing, or actual writing for the book.

Richard: You have all your notes in one notes.org file, and you have
another file e.g. writing.org for actual writing? How do you then work - do
you, say, split your frame into side-by-side windows, writing in the right
window while working off of notes from the left?

And to anyone using org-mode for book writing: Do you put thoughts about
structure, tone, and objectives for each section along with the research
notes? Do you make use commenting at all?

If this is off-topic for the list, I'd be happy to discuss them off-list
via email. Or if there's interest, I could create a separate list for
'org-mode for writers.'

Thanks again,
Jay

---
Jay Dixit
jaydixit.com
(646) 355-8001
 ᐧ

* Re: using org-refile to sort research notes?
@ 2014-05-07 14:40 Alfaro-Murillo, Jorge
From: Alfaro-Murillo, Jorge @ 2014-05-07 14:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org; +Cc: dixit@aya.yale.edu

Hi Jay,

I keep all my notes out of the agenda, because it slows down building the agenda (at least with previous versions of org, it might have improved recently), which I do quite often.

Instead I keep all those notes files in the variable org-agenda-text-search-extra-files, so that I am able to search on them and add them as well to the org-refile-targets. If you keep all your notes in the directory ~/org/notes, then set:

     #+BEGIN_SRC emacs-lisp
       (setq org-agenda-text-search-extra-files (cddr
                                                 (directory-files
                                                  "~/org/notes"
                                                  nil)))
       (setq org-refile-targets (list '(org-agenda-files
                                        . (:maxlevel . 1))
                                      '(org-agenda-text-search-extra-files
                                        . (:maxlevel . 1))
                                      '(nil
                                        . (:maxlevel . 5))))
     #+END_SRC

Best,

Jorge.

* using org-refile to sort research notes?
@ 2014-04-27 22:25 Jay Dixit
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Jay Dixit @ 2014-04-27 22:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode