From: Jay Dixit <dixit@aya.yale.edu>
To: org-mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: using org-refile to sort research notes?
Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2014 18:25:24 -0400	[thread overview]

Hello friendly org-mode community,

I'm using org-mode to research and write a nonfiction book. I have a large
amount of notes and quotes that I now need to sort into separate files.

I am creating separate org files, one for each chapter of my book—
chapter-1.org, chapter-2.org, etc.—with org headings in each one for every
topic/subsection.

I now want to categorize my notes, moving them from where they are—i.e. in
a set of long, unorganized org files with names like new-research.org and
more-research-and-notes.org—into the the chapter files.

1. Am I right in thinking that org-refile is the most efficient way to do
this?
2. What's the best way to do this? Should I add all of my chapter.org files
to the agenda using org-agenda-file-to-front? I ask because these are not
TODO headings, just headings with notes and quotes, so I'm not sure if
using org-agenda functionality is appropriate.
3. I am also learning to use org-agenda, so I do have a work.org file that
has my TODO tasks in it. Is there a way to temporarily remove my
work.orgTODO headings from the refile targets for when I'm sorting my
book notes?
Or is there a way to have different "projects" with separate sets of refile
targets, one set of agenda files with refile targets for when I'm refiling
TODO tasks, another set of agenda files for when I'm refiling book notes?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best,
Jay

---