* bug in org-export-smart-quotes
@ 2015-03-27 18:45 Jay Dixit
From: Jay Dixit @ 2015-03-27 18:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode org

Hi everyone,

I've noticed that when I use quotation marks in conjunction with an em dash
(—), org-export-smart-quotes gets confused and forgets to activate smart
quotes for the closing quotation mark.

If my org-mode file contains a sentence like this...

A [[
http://spp.sagepub.com/content/early/2015/01/23/1948550614568867.abstract][new
study]] published in Psychological and Personality Science has found that
helping other people---what scientists call being "prosocial"---increases
your odds of finding a long-term relationship.

...then it exports to HTML like this:

A new study
<http://spp.sagepub.com/content/early/2015/01/23/1948550614568867.abstract>
published
in Social Psychological and Personality Science has found that helping
other people—what scientists call being “prosocial"—increases your odds of
finding a long-term relationship.

Note the non-smart closing quotation mark. Does anyone know a fix for this?

Thanks!

Jay

---
Jay Dixit
jaydixit.com
(646) 355-8001
Jay Dixit

* Re: bug in org-export-smart-quotes
@ 2015-03-27 19:20 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-03-27 19:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jay Dixit <dixit@aya.yale.edu> writes:

> Hi everyone,
>
> I've noticed that when I use quotation marks in conjunction with an em dash (—), org-export-smart-quotes gets confused and forgets
> to activate smart quotes for the closing quotation mark.
>
> If my org-mode file contains a sentence like this...
>
> A [[http://spp.sagepub.com/content/early/2015/01/23/1948550614568867.abstract][new study]] published in Psychological and
> Personality Science has found that helping other people---what scientists call being "prosocial"---increases your odds of finding a
> long-term relationship.
>
> ...then it exports to HTML like this:
>
> A new study published in Social Psychological and Personality Science has found that helping other people—what scientists call
> being “prosocial"—increases your odds of finding a long-term relationship.
>
> Note the non-smart closing quotation mark. Does anyone know a fix for this?

The regexps are probably looking for spaces - try

... people --- what scientists call being "prosocial" --- increases

Nick

* Re: bug in org-export-smart-quotes
@ 2015-03-27 20:23 ` Jay Dixit
From: Jay Dixit @ 2015-03-27 20:23 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode org

​Hi Nick,

Thanks for the suggestion. Putting extra spaces in the original solves the
smart quotes issue, but creates unwanted spaces on either side of the em
dash:

A new study
<http://spp.sagepub.com/content/early/2015/01/23/1948550614568867.abstract>
published
in Social Psychological and Personality Science has found that helping
other people — what scientists call being “prosocial” — increases your odds
of finding a long-term relationship.

Thanks,
Jay

---
Jay Dixit
jaydixit.com
(646) 355-8001
Jay Dixit

@ 2015-03-27 23:35   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2015-03-27 23:35 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Jay Dixit <dixit@aya.yale.edu> writes:

> Thanks for the suggestion. Putting extra spaces in the original solves
> the smart quotes issue, but creates unwanted spaces on either side of
> the em dash:

I understand but I can't really help. If I'm right that the regexps are
looking for a space[fn:1] (and that's a big if), then the only way to
fix it is to modify one or more of them (see
org-export-smart-quotes-regexps, which btw is a defconst, so not really
meant to be modified), but I'm not up to that task.

Let's hope that I'm wrong and somebody comes up with a simpler solution.

Nick

Footnotes:

[fn:1]  or, rather, for something that the dash does not
        satisfy

* Re: bug in org-export-smart-quotes
@ 2015-03-28 15:03   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2015-03-28 15:03 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jay Dixit; +Cc: org-mode org

Hello,

Jay Dixit <dixit@aya.yale.edu> writes:

> Thanks for the suggestion. Putting extra spaces in the original solves the
> smart quotes issue, but creates unwanted spaces on either side of the em
> dash:
>
> A new study
> <http://spp.sagepub.com/content/early/2015/01/23/1948550614568867.abstract>
> published
> in Social Psychological and Personality Science has found that helping
> other people — what scientists call being “prosocial” — increases your odds
> of finding a long-term relationship.

I updated the algorithm for "smart" quotes. It's not perfect, but should
at least DTRT in your example.

Nicolas Goaziou