* Bug: Effort vs column "day" impedence mismatch [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ c:/Users/yhluc00/emacs/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/org/)]
@ 2014-12-16 21:00 yary
From: yary @ 2014-12-16 21:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

--text follows this line--

In general, would like the formatting of a time interval in column mode
to respect "org-effort-durations" when it is summarizing effort
durations. Below is a specific example.

Using the default "org-effort-durations" variable and default column
mode settings, the following buffer shows a confusing total:

| Task            | Estimate |
|-----------------+----------|
| * Estimate      |  1d 8:00 |
| ** Little Thing |       1d |
| ** Big Mess     |       3d |

vvv effort_days.org vvv

#+COLUMNS: %40ITEM(Task) %12Effort(Estimate){:}

* Estimate

** Little Thing
   :PROPERTIES:
   :Effort:   1d
   :END:

** Big Mess
   :PROPERTIES:
   :Effort:   3d
   :END:

^^^ effort_days.org ^^^

The mis-match is due to "Effort" days being an 8-hour workday, whereas
the Column-view day is a 24-hour calendar day. I would like all the days
to be 8-hour work days, including the total, resulting in:

| Task            | Estimate |
|-----------------+----------|
| * Estimate      |       4d |
| ** Little Thing |       1d |
| ** Big Mess     |       3d |

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 24.4.1 (i686-pc-mingw32)
 of 2014-10-24 on LEG570
Package: Org-mode version 8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @
c:/Users/yhluc00/emacs/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/org/)

* Re: Bug: Effort vs column "day" impedence mismatch [8.2.10 (release_8.2.10 @ c:/Users/yhluc00/emacs/share/emacs/24.4/lisp/org/)]
@ 2014-12-16 23:07 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2014-12-16 23:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: yary; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

yary <not.com@gmail.com> writes:

> In general, would like the formatting of a time interval in column mode
> to respect "org-effort-durations" when it is summarizing effort
> durations. Below is a specific example.
>
> Using the default "org-effort-durations" variable and default column
> mode settings, the following buffer shows a confusing total:
>
> | Task            | Estimate |
> |-----------------+----------|
> | * Estimate      |  1d 8:00 |
> | ** Little Thing |       1d |
> | ** Big Mess     |       3d |
>

> vvv effort_days.org vvv
>
> #+COLUMNS: %40ITEM(Task) %12Effort(Estimate){:}
>
> * Estimate
>
> ** Little Thing
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    :Effort:   1d
>    :END:
>
> ** Big Mess
>    :PROPERTIES:
>    :Effort:   3d
>    :END:
>
> ^^^ effort_days.org ^^^
>
> The mis-match is due to "Effort" days being an 8-hour workday, whereas
> the Column-view day is a 24-hour calendar day. I would like all the days
> to be 8-hour work days, including the total, resulting in:
>
> | Task            | Estimate |
> | * Estimate      |       4d |
> | ** Little Thing |       1d |
> | ** Big Mess     |       3d |

You can modify the "d" entry in `org-effort-durations' so it becomes
1440 minutes instead of 480. You may also want to modify "m" and "y".

Nicolas Goaziou