* Multiple entries of the same table in TOC when using longtable env + #+MACRO limitations
@ 2014-09-26 17:43 Kaushal
From: Kaushal @ 2014-09-26 17:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

I have explained this issue in detail in this stackexchange question:
http://emacs.stackexchange.com/questions/314/toc-of-tables-for-org-mode-long-tables

I found a sort of workable solution but it is not very practical.

In the process of making that solution workable without having to request
this feature from the org-mode team, I faced some org-mode macro
limitations.

*Unable to have nested macro replacement. The below is not possible.*

#+MACRO: LT_REF     ref_longtable
#+MACRO: LT_TITLE   This is a long table
#+MACRO: LT_HEADER1 Header 1
#+MACRO: LT_HEADER2 Header 2
{{{LT_HEADER({{{LT_REF}}}, {{{LT_TITLE}}}, {{{LT_HEADER1}}},
{{{LT_HEADER2}}})}}}

*Unable to use macros in #+NAME:. The below is not possible.*

#+NAME: {{{LT_REF}}}

We also can't have a MACRO that can expand to multi-line org-mode "#+"
syntax lines.

Example: I couldn'd find a way by which {{{SOME_MACRO}}} can expand to:

----
    #+ATTR_LaTeX: :environment longtable
    {{{LT_HEADER(ref_longtable, This is a long table, Header 1, Header 2)}}}
    #+NAME: ref_longtable
----

What can be the best solution to get the longtables working with just one
TOC entry per table?
Can the org-mode macros code be improved to support the above use cases?

--
Kaushal Modi