My most common uses are escaping double quotes (") and equals (=) within org verbatim blocks (=VERBATIM=) Examples: 1. =var=[ZWS]val= 2. =[ZWS]"something"[ZWS]= Here [ZWS] is the 0x200b zero width space unicode char. I found [ZWS] useful as a generic escape char for org mode. There are few other cases where this has been useful, but I can't recall right now. In any case, what would be the recommended way to escape " and = in the above 2 examples? On Fri, Sep 18, 2015 at 5:09 PM Nicolas Goaziou wrote: > Hello, > > Kaushal Modi writes: > > > The suggestion to use zero width spaces to sort of "escape" stuff in org > > mode has come up many times. I have started using it a lot and suggest > that > > to other people now. > > > > Here is one such recent QnA on emacs.SE: > > http://emacs.stackexchange.com/a/16702/115 > > > > The OP of that question made a valid point that while using zero width > > spaces is convenient, it is not apparent where it has been used in the > > document. > > > > To resolve that, I am requesting a feature. > > > > Can the zero width spaces be optionally represented with something like a > > single space overlay with a colored background (like purple)? > > > > Making this officially part of org-mode will probably make more people > make > > use of it. > > > > .. Or should people use zero width spaces? > > Entities can be used to escape most Org syntax, e.g. > > \ast{}shrug\ast > > I see no compelling reason to treat zero width spaces specially. > > > Regards, > > -- > Nicolas Goaziou >