From: Kaushal <kaushal.modi@gmail.com>
To: Richard Lawrence <richard.lawrence@berkeley.edu>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Enforcing newlines in plain text export
Date: Fri, 26 Sep 2014 12:14:22 -0400	[thread overview]

> Do you need to enforce line breaks *outside of* a paragraph in plain
> text export?  If so, what case are you worried about specifically?

I forgot to answer this question.. I need to force line breaks in cases
like these

-----
For example, to execute the =example_1= test and run in the {{{NEWLINE}}}

=/some/long/path/that/wouldn't/fit/along/with/the/above/line/in/the/same/line=
directory,
do the following..
-----

In the above example, org-export will not wrap the text between the
verbatim formatting characters "=".
To ensure that the exported formats (html/pdf/ascii) look clean, I have to
force a newline character just before that long string.

Now using "\\" here instead of {{{NEWLINE}}} works but then I have to
ensure that I place the "\\" character at the very end. If they are placed
mid-line then they will be interpreted as newline by latex but simply "\\"
character by html exporter.

For consistency, the {{{NEWLINE}}} approach looks better; hoping that
org-mode will support a special newline character for ascii exports at some
time:

-----
#+MACRO: NEWLINE @@latex:\\@@ @@html:<br>@@ @@ascii:NEWLINE_CHARACTERS_
FOR_ASCII_EXPORT@@