That's correct. That code might be an overkill for people who never needed org entities. I thought that I have never used `C-u` before plain single characters, so why not make use of that in org mode. With that code in place, inserting an org entity is now C-u away :) If I happen to need org entities for nonascii chars, I can associate them to plain letters like `a`, `b`, `c`... in org-entities-user. For example, `C-u c` can be used to enter copyright symbol org entity. I haven't yet used `sgml-name-char`, thanks for the tip. -- Kaushal Modi On Sep 19, 2015 3:26 AM, "Eric Abrahamsen" wrote: > Kaushal Modi writes: > > > I got really interested in org-entities (to deal with the case I > > mentioned in the first email in this thread like \ast{}shrug\ast{}) > > and came up with this: > > [...] > > > Question to the list is: Does this advise mask any useful > > functionality of org-self-insert-command? > > This is very cool, in principle! My first reaction would be: people will > probably just want a single command that inserts an entity, either by > name or by the character itself. Tapping into basic keystrokes like this > is very clever, but people only like clever when it's clever exactly the > way they want it, and the more clever a thing is the more opinions > diverge, if that makes sense. Why not just do something like, for > example, `sgml-name-char'? > > >