That's odd. `setq-local` macro was added in emacs 24.3; it is in subr.el. (defmacro setq-local (var val) "Set variable VAR to value VAL in current buffer." ;; Can't use backquote here, it's too early in the bootstrap. (list 'set (list 'make-local-variable (list 'quote var)) val)) -- Kaushal Modi On Thu, Aug 6, 2015 at 10:18 AM, Paul Schlesinger wrote: > When I open an org file I get > File mode specification error: (invalid-function setq-local) > > I just upgraded so I don't know of any other problems > > Paul Schlesinger > > -- > Paul H. Schlesinger MD, PhD > Washington University School of Medicine >