* Org indent mode
@ 2014-03-01  2:27 Chris Henderson
From: Chris Henderson @ 2014-03-01  2:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I'm trying to setup Org indent mode for cleaner view but the preceding
starts show up dimmed in grey color. How do I make them totally invisible?

I've put this at the top of the .emacs:

(setq org-startup-indented t)
(setq org-indent-mode t)

and running emacs version 24.3.1 and org version 8.2.5 from the
command-line.

* Re: Org indent mode
@ 2014-03-01  2:45 ` Josiah Schwab
From: Josiah Schwab @ 2014-03-01  2:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Henderson; +Cc: org-mode

You may need to customize the org-hide face.

See the section "Hiding Leading Stars" at
http://orgmode.org/manual/Clean-view.html

Josiah

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 6:27 PM, Chris Henderson <henders254@gmail.com>wrote:

> I'm trying to setup Org indent mode for cleaner view but the preceding
> starts show up dimmed in grey color. How do I make them totally invisible?
>
> I've put this at the top of the .emacs:
>
> (setq org-startup-indented t)
> (setq org-indent-mode t)
>
> and running emacs version 24.3.1 and org version 8.2.5 from the
> command-line.

* Re: Org indent mode
@ 2014-03-01  3:14   ` Chris Henderson
From: Chris Henderson @ 2014-03-01  3:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josiah Schwab; +Cc: org-mode

I've added (setq org-hide-leading-stars t) but still getting the leading
stars. Thanks.

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Josiah Schwab <jschwab@gmail.com> wrote:

> You may need to customize the org-hide face.
>
> See the section "Hiding Leading Stars" at
> http://orgmode.org/manual/Clean-view.html
>
> Josiah
>

> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 6:27 PM, Chris Henderson <henders254@gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> I'm trying to setup Org indent mode for cleaner view but the preceding
>> starts show up dimmed in grey color. How do I make them totally invisible?
>>
>> I've put this at the top of the .emacs:
>>
>> (setq org-startup-indented t)
>> (setq org-indent-mode t)
>>
>> and running emacs version 24.3.1 and org version 8.2.5 from the
>> command-line.

* Re: Org indent mode
@ 2014-03-01  4:10     ` Josiah Schwab
From: Josiah Schwab @ 2014-03-01  4:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Henderson; +Cc: org-mode

But did you try customizing the org-hide face?

Josiah
On Feb 28, 2014 7:14 PM, "Chris Henderson" <henders254@gmail.com> wrote:

> I've added (setq org-hide-leading-stars t) but still getting the leading
> stars. Thanks.
>

> On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Josiah Schwab <jschwab@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> You may need to customize the org-hide face.
>>
>> See the section "Hiding Leading Stars" at
>> http://orgmode.org/manual/Clean-view.html
>>
>> Josiah
>>

>> On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 6:27 PM, Chris Henderson <henders254@gmail.com>wrote:
>>
>>> I'm trying to setup Org indent mode for cleaner view but the preceding
>>> starts show up dimmed in grey color. How do I make them totally invisible?
>>>
>>> I've put this at the top of the .emacs:
>>>
>>> (setq org-startup-indented t)
>>> (setq org-indent-mode t)
>>>
>>> and running emacs version 24.3.1 and org version 8.2.5 from the
>>> command-line.

* Re: Org indent mode
@ 2014-03-01  4:27       ` Chris Henderson
From: Chris Henderson @ 2014-03-01  4:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Josiah Schwab; +Cc: org-mode

I'm not sure how to customize this. I have tried different variations of

#+STARTUP: hidestars
#+STARTUP: odd
#+STARTUP: oddeven

but they don't seem to be working. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.

On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 3:10 PM, Josiah Schwab <jschwab@gmail.com> wrote:

> But did you try customizing the org-hide face?
>
> Josiah
> On Feb 28, 2014 7:14 PM, "Chris Henderson" <henders254@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I've added (setq org-hide-leading-stars t) but still getting the leading
>> stars. Thanks.
>>

>> On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 1:45 PM, Josiah Schwab <jschwab@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> You may need to customize the org-hide face.
>>>
>>> See the section "Hiding Leading Stars" at
>>> http://orgmode.org/manual/Clean-view.html
>>>
>>> Josiah

* Re: Org indent mode
@ 2014-03-01  4:46         ` Josiah Schwab
From: Josiah Schwab @ 2014-03-01  4:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Henderson; +Cc: org-mode

Yes.  We are clearly talking past each other.  You need to set the
"org-hide" text style (or "face") so that it is the same color as your
background.  Then the stars will appear invisible.

This is explained in the section of the docs I linked to: "The leading
stars are not truly replaced by whitespace, they are only fontified with
the face org-hide that uses the background color as font color. If you are
not using either white or black background, you may have to customize this
face to get the wanted effect."

Here's one way you might do that.  Do M-x apropos and then search for
org-hide.  Click "org-hide" and then click "customize this face".  Then set
the foreground color to be the same as your background color.

Hope that helps.

Josiah

On Fri, Feb 28, 2014 at 8:27 PM, Chris Henderson <henders254@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm not sure how to customize this. I have tried different variations of
>
> #+STARTUP: hidestars
> #+STARTUP: odd
> #+STARTUP: oddeven
>
> but they don't seem to be working. Maybe I'm doing something wrong.
>

> On Sat, Mar 1, 2014 at 3:10 PM, Josiah Schwab <jschwab@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> But did you try customizing the org-hide face?
>>
>> Josiah
>> On Feb 28, 2014 7:14 PM, "Chris Henderson" <henders254@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> I've added (setq org-hide-leading-stars t) but still getting the leading
>>> stars. Thanks.

* Re: Org indent mode
@ 2014-03-01  8:58           ` Chris Henderson
From: Chris Henderson @ 2014-03-01  8:58 UTC (permalink / raw)