* how to show deadlines in global to-do list?
@ 2011-12-01  2:38 James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2011-12-01  2:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Hi,

Apologies if this is a common question -- I did do some google
searching, but didn't find a straightforward answer and the agenda
options are too complex for me to figure out quickly -- I'm too busy
to devote a couple of hours figuring out the right way.

I like the out-of-the-box to-do list, except one thing: I would like
to see the items' deadlines. The weekly agenda view shows the
deadlines, but I need a view where I can see *only* to-do items and
their deadlines.

I read in the manual about creating custom agenda views, and I see a
lot about defining custom searches, but it isn't obvious (to me) how
to customize the display of an existing search. I also checked M-x
customize-group for agenda options, to do display options and line
format, but I don't see anything self-evident. (I don't want to make a
custom time-grid view searching only todos: I want the todos displayed
in *priority* order, just, if there's a deadline, show it.)

I'm quite busy and I have approximately 5 more minutes to devote to
this, so if somebody could send me a simple way to add deadlines to
the to-do list, I'd be much obliged. Thanks.

James

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
jamshark70@dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

* Re: how to show deadlines in global to-do list?
@ 2011-12-02  3:01 ` Herbert Sitz
From: Herbert Sitz @ 2011-12-02  3:01 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

James Harkins <jamshark70 <at> gmail.com> writes:

> I like the out-of-the-box to-do list, except one thing: I would like
> to see the items' deadlines. The weekly agenda view shows the
> deadlines, but I need a view where I can see *only* to-do items and
> their deadlines.

Here is one way:

Include this line in your org-file's config lines, or just stick it in if you
don't have config-line block:

#+COLUMNS: %45ITEM %18DEADLINE

Now either save and reload or press <ctrl-c><ctrl-c> on the #+COLUMNS line.

Now do your agenda search.  Once in agenda, turn on column view by pressing:

<ctrl-c><ctrl-x><ctrl-c>

This is a more-or-less temporary solution.  I'm sure there's way to make the
columns setting above a default without having to put the config line in your
buffers, but don't remember offhand.  I believe turning on column-view is a
setting you can include when defining a user-defined search. . .

* Re: how to show deadlines in global to-do list?
       [not found] <mailman.205.1322845265.8376.emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
@ 2011-12-03  3:27 ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2011-12-03  3:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

At Fri, 02 Dec 2011 12:01:05 -0500,
emacs-orgmode-request@gnu.org wrote:
> Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 03:01:36 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Herbert Sitz <hesitz@gmail.com>
> To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: [O] how to show deadlines in global to-do list?
>
> James Harkins <jamshark70 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I like the out-of-the-box to-do list, except one thing: I would like
> > to see the items' deadlines. The weekly agenda view shows the
> > deadlines, but I need a view where I can see *only* to-do items and
> > their deadlines.
> >
> Here is one way:
>
> Include this line in your org-file's config lines, or just stick it in if you
> don't have config-line block:
>
> #+COLUMNS: %45ITEM %18DEADLINE
... snip

Thanks, that's very helpful. It means I can focus my documentation searches on a couple of options rather than several dozen :)  -- now that I know that to-do + column view is a good way (if not the best way).

James

--

@ 2011-12-04  8:14   ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2011-12-04  8:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

At Fri, 02 Dec 2011 12:01:05 -0500,
emacs-orgmode-request@gnu.org wrote:
> Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 03:01:36 +0000 (UTC)
> From: Herbert Sitz <hesitz@gmail.com>
> To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
> Subject: Re: [O] how to show deadlines in global to-do list?
>
> James Harkins <jamshark70 <at> gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I like the out-of-the-box to-do list, except one thing: I would like
> > to see the items' deadlines. The weekly agenda view shows the
> > deadlines, but I need a view where I can see *only* to-do items and
> > their deadlines.
> >
> Here is one way:
>
> Include this line in your org-file's config lines, or just stick it in if you
> don't have config-line block:
>
> #+COLUMNS: %45ITEM %18DEADLINE
... snip

Okay! This is great. Poking around orgmode's info docs turned up the variable org-columns-default-format. Supposedly the variable can be customized, but M-x customize-apropos doesn't find it. In any case:

(setq org-columns-default-format "%45ITEM %18DEADLINE")

in my .emacs forces the to-do column list to include the deadline, if available, with no #+COLUMNS line per file.

That's good enough for now: C-a < t C-c C-x C-c -- and I know sometime later, when I have a little more time, I can try to crack the custom-search syntax.

Thanks! I doubt I would've found my way to column view so quickly on my own.

James