On Oct 21, 2013 6:12 PM, "Nicolas Goaziou" wrote: > Optional arguments are in square brackets in LaTeX. Try %r instead, so > you can write: > > *** {0.9\textwidth}{0.7\textheight} :B_overlayarea: > :PROPERTIES: > :BEAMER_env: overlayarea > :END: Ah, OK, that's better. It's not easy to grasp the correct terminology and structure from the available documentation. I do appreciate the excellent help from the list in such cases! This part of the documentation might benefit from some examples of generating different types of beamer syntax -- when to use properties, when to use headline text, etc. I wouldn't have guessed to use the headline text because I was thinking of parameters or arguments. > > Also, side note, [1] seems not to document BEAMER_OPT for environments > > within a frame. Reading this page, you would think you could only use > > it for frames. I had to dig into the source code to find how to > > populate %o. > > Would you mind suggesting a better phrasing? Under "Block environments and overlay specifications," where it discusses custom environments, I would add: ~~ - Environment options may be given using the BEAMER_opt property. They will be enclosed in square brackets and inserted where %o appears in the environment definition. (with an example, but I can't think of one now) - Additional arguments may be written into the environment's headline, and inserted into the LaTeX string using %r (raw headline text, no processing). ~~ I think it's important to mention it in the section where it can be used. My faulty conclusion was based on the fact that the only mention of _opt is in a section about frames. hjh hjh