* Beamer confusion: environments are ignored
@ 2012-02-22 14:42 James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2012-02-22 14:42 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Still having Beamer problems. C-c C-e p is making the PDF at the end,
but it's ignoring structural tags except for lists.

I've pasted a simple example under my name. In the resulting .tex
file, the code for both frames is identical, except for "sec" labels.
The second frame contains Beamer environment properties while the
first frame does not, so it looks like the block environments are not
doing anything.

For that matter, I just checked the tex file generated by Carsten's
demo presentation in the org manual, and there's no evidence of the
blocks at all. The only TeX environments that appear with \begin are
{document}, {frame} and {itemize} -- but Carsten's demo uses:

    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: block
    :BEAMER_envargs: C[t]
    :BEAMER_col: 0.5
    :END:

    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_col: 0.5
    :BEAMER_env: block
    :BEAMER_envargs: <2->
    :END:

    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: block
    :END:

... and a :B_note: tag, which claims it "will be formatted as a beamer
note" but it isn't.

For my own short file, I would have assumed that I did something
wrong, but that's less plausible for example code from the manual. So
I suppose it must be an installation or configuration problem.

Ideas?

Tonight's experimentation is driven by the simple use case I mentioned
before -- centering a paragraph (and eventually putting some extra
space around it, but I can handle that later). E.g.,

- A bullet heading within the frame
  A free paragraph

                Centered text

- Another bullet

Am I on the right track by looking at blocks? Could somebody give me a
quick example of how to do this, and I'll try to extrapolate to other
uses?

Thanks,
James

#+TITLE:     beamer-blocks.org
#+AUTHOR:    dlm
#+EMAIL:     dlm@dlm-laptop
#+DATE:      2012-02-22 Wed
#+KEYWORDS:
#+LANGUAGE:  en
#+INFOJS_OPT: view:nil toc:nil ltoc:t mouse:underline buttons:0
path:http://orgmode.org/org-info.js
#+EXPORT_SELECT_TAGS: export
#+EXPORT_EXCLUDE_TAGS: noexport
#+LINK_UP:
#+LINK_HOME:
#+XSLT:

#+startup: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS: beamer
#+LaTeX_CLASS_OPTIONS: [bigger]
#+BEAMER_FRAME_LEVEL: 2
#+COLUMNS: %40ITEM %10BEAMER_env(Env) %9BEAMER_envargs(Env Args)
%4BEAMER_col(Col) %10BEAMER_extra(Extra)

* A section
** A frame
*** An item
    Some text, which I hope will become a block

*** Another item
    Other text

** A second frame
*** An item						       :B_alertblock:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: alertblock
    :END:
    Some text, which I hope will become a block

*** Another item						   :B_normal:
    :PROPERTIES:
    :BEAMER_env: normal
    :END:
    Other text

--
James Harkins /// dewdrop world
jamshark70@dewdrop-world.net

"Come said the Muse,
Sing me a song no poet has yet chanted,
Sing me the universal."  -- Whitman

* Re: Beamer confusion: environments are ignored
@ 2012-02-23  8:36 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-02-23  8:36 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi James,

James Harkins wrote:
> Still having Beamer problems. C-c C-e p is making the PDF at the end,
> but it's ignoring structural tags except for lists.
>
> I've pasted a simple example under my name. In the resulting .tex
> file, the code for both frames is identical, except for "sec" labels.
> The second frame contains Beamer environment properties while the
> first frame does not, so it looks like the block environments are not
> doing anything.
>
> For that matter, I just checked the tex file generated by Carsten's
> demo presentation in the org manual, and there's no evidence of the
> blocks at all. The only TeX environments that appear with \begin are
> {document}, {frame} and {itemize} -- but Carsten's demo uses:
>
>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :BEAMER_env: block
>     :BEAMER_envargs: C[t]
>     :BEAMER_col: 0.5
>     :END:

>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :BEAMER_col: 0.5
>     :BEAMER_env: block
>     :BEAMER_envargs: <2->
>     :END:

>     :PROPERTIES:
>     :BEAMER_env: block
>     :END:
>
> ... and a :B_note: tag, which claims it "will be formatted as a beamer
> note" but it isn't.
>
> For my own short file, I would have assumed that I did something
> wrong, but that's less plausible for example code from the manual. So
> I suppose it must be an installation or configuration problem.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Tonight's experimentation is driven by the simple use case I mentioned
> before -- centering a paragraph (and eventually putting some extra
> space around it, but I can handle that later). E.g.,
>
> - A bullet heading within the frame
>   A free paragraph
>
>                 Centered text
>
> - Another bullet
>
> Am I on the right track by looking at blocks? Could somebody give me a
> quick example of how to do this, and I'll try to extrapolate to other
> uses?

For horizontal centering, a workaround (or simply a solution) can be something
like:

#+LaTeX: \begin{center}
#+ATTR_LaTeX: width=0.75\linewidth
[[~/Pictures/Dock.jpg]]
#+LaTeX: \end{center}

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Beamer confusion: environments are ignored
@ 2012-02-24  1:34 James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2012-02-24  1:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

(Sorry for breaking the thread -- I'm using the digest. Come to think of it, I was wondering -- how do other digest readers participate in discussions without messing up the thread IDs? Use a news reader, or...? Nabble?)

Sebastien Vauban wrote:
> For horizontal centering, a workaround (or simply a solution) can be something
> like:
>
> #+LaTeX: \begin{center}
> #+ATTR_LaTeX: width=0.75\linewidth
> [[~/Pictures/Dock.jpg]]
> #+LaTeX: \end{center}
>
> Best regards,
>   Seb

Thanks. After reading the Beamer user's guide, this will get me pretty much where I need to go.

Still, though, if there is nothing wrong with Carsten's example presentation and it renders incorrectly, then I suppose it's a bug.

Shall I file a bug report? There is a reproducer here:

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/52631

Can someone confirm? Bug or not?

hjh

--

@ 2012-02-25  1:55 ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2012-02-25  1:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

At Fri, 24 Feb 2012 09:34:11 +0800,
James Harkins wrote:
> Still, though, if there is nothing wrong with Carsten's example presentation and it renders incorrectly, then I suppose it's a bug.
>
> Shall I file a bug report? There is a reproducer here:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/52631
>
> Can someone confirm? Bug or not?

Progress. Following instructions to prepare for a bug report, I tried a minimal-org set up and suddenly the blocks render as expected.

Then I realized... the older org version that I started with (the one bundled with Emacs) didn't include a beamer class for LaTeX export, so I copied a definition for it from somewhere online and put it in ~/.emacs.

Next test: Remove the customization of org-export-latex-classes and try again... and the blocks behave correctly.

So, no bug. Sorry for noise.
hjh

--

@ 2012-04-25  3:00 ` Eric Fraga
From: Eric Fraga @ 2012-04-25  3:00 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: James Harkins; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

> (Sorry for breaking the thread -- I'm using the digest. Come to think
> of it, I was wondering -- how do other digest readers participate in
> discussions without messing up the thread IDs? Use a news reader,
> or...? Nabble?)

You don't appear to have broken the thread; at least, in gnus, this
message is properly threaded with your earlier one... maybe it's a
matter of using an intelligent mail reader! ;-)

[...]

> Still, though, if there is nothing wrong with Carsten's example presentation and it renders incorrectly, then I suppose it's a bug.
>
> Shall I file a bug report? There is a reproducer here:
>
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/52631
>
> Can someone confirm? Bug or not?

Works fine for me.  The first slide is not /blocked/; the second one
/is/.  Have you looked at the latex produced by the exporter?

What version of org are you using?

--
: Eric S Fraga (GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D) in Emacs 24.1.50.1
: using Org-mode version 7.8.06 (release_7.8.06.181.g67694.dirty)

* Re: Beamer confusion: environments are ignored
@ 2012-04-25  9:46   ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2012-04-25  9:46 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

At Wed, 25 Apr 2012 12:30:59 +0930,
Eric Fraga wrote:

> James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > (Sorry for breaking the thread -- I'm using the digest. Come to think
> > of it, I was wondering -- how do other digest readers participate in
> > discussions without messing up the thread IDs? Use a news reader,
> > or...? Nabble?)
>
> You don't appear to have broken the thread; at least, in gnus, this
> message is properly threaded with your earlier one... maybe it's a
> matter of using an intelligent mail reader! ;-)

I'm guessing that the mailing list software is smart enough to recognize that the subject matches an existing thread, and tweak the header IDs appropriately.

> > Shall I file a bug report? There is a reproducer here:
> >
> > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/52631
> >
> > Can someone confirm? Bug or not?
>
> Works fine for me.  The first slide is not /blocked/; the second one
> /is/.  Have you looked at the latex produced by the exporter?
>
> What version of org are you using?

Water under the bridge -- I already figured out that the documentation on Beamer export assumes a more recent version of org than is packaged with Ubuntu Lucid.

I've been using blocks, quotes etc. successfully with a newer org for a good 2, 2.5 months now.

James