From: James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com>
To: Bastien <bzg@altern.org>
Cc: Emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: org-mobile-push vs. symlinks
Date: Mon, 7 Jan 2013 10:34:08 +0800	[thread overview]

On Jan 6, 2013 9:57 PM, "Bastien" <bzg@altern.org> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > I'm not sure of the procedure to contribute to the org manual, but I
> > might suggest something like this, under MobileOrg section B2:
>
> I added a footnote:
> http://orgmode.org/cgit.cgi/org-mode.git/commit/?id=76684b5

(The thread that wouldn't die...)

I just looked at the footnote text... why did we go from "symlinks work if
the name is the same" to an unqualified "symlinks are not supported"?

It isn't always feasible, or even desirable in some cases, to keep all your
org files under org-directory. For instance, I have a separate project
folder for a series of concerts to be given in the spring. If I back up
this folder, I want the project's org file to come with it. The updated
documentation seems to suggest that I should store the org file physically
under org-directory and place a symlink under the project directory, making
backups a bit more complex ("oh my, I forgot again what is the cp or rsync
option to follow links... man page...").

I can accept the same-name requirement, but it really makes much more sense
to me to keep org files physically with their projects. So I'd kindly
request that future org-mobile changes avoid breaking the use of symlinks
in org-directory (which currently does work). Documenting that symlinks are
supported (with the one caveat about the filename) is a step in that
direction.

hjh