* New beamer export error with top-level TODOs
@ 2013-03-01  9:17 James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2013-03-01  9:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Emacs-orgmode

Bug or not?

In the *new* beamer exporter, if I have a top level heading with a
TODO keyword, LaTeX chokes on the exported .tex file.

E.g.,

~~
* TODO Quiz review
-->
\section{\textbf{\textsf{\textsc{TODO}}} Quiz review}

byte-code: PDF file ./slides.pdf wasn't produced: [undefined control
sequence] Runaway argument
~~

My export options have H:2, so a top level heading as above becomes a
section. Second-level headings become frames, and there is no export
error with a TODO keyword on that level or below.

Use case: I'd like to track the status of a section at the top level,
so I can open the file (with all top-level headings folded) and see
instantly what needs attention, e.g.

TODO = nothing written yet for this section
INPROG = started, but not finished
DONE = (obvious)

org-version:
Org-mode version 7.9.3e (7.9.3e-1141-gc561d1 @
/home/dlm/share/org-mode.git/lisp/)

LaTeX:
pdfTeX 3.1415926-1.40.10-2.2 (TeX Live 2009/Debian)
kpathsea version 5.0.0
Copyright 2009 Peter Breitenlohner (eTeX)/Han The Thanh (pdfTeX).
Compiled with libpng 1.2.46; using libpng 1.2.46
Compiled with zlib 1.2.3.4; using zlib 1.2.3.4
Compiled with poppler version 0.18.2

Hope it's an easy fix...
hjh

* Re: New beamer export error with top-level TODOs
@ 2013-03-01 10:07 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-03-01 10:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: jamshark70; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

Hello,

James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:

> In the *new* beamer exporter, if I have a top level heading with a
> TODO keyword, LaTeX chokes on the exported .tex file.

It should be fixed in master. Could you confirm it?

Thanks for reporting the error.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: New beamer export error with top-level TODOs
@ 2013-03-02  4:13   ` James Harkins
From: James Harkins @ 2013-03-02  4:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Emacs-orgmode

On Fri, Mar 1, 2013 at 6:07 PM, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> James Harkins <jamshark70@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> In the *new* beamer exporter, if I have a top level heading with a
>> TODO keyword, LaTeX chokes on the exported .tex file.
>
> It should be fixed in master. Could you confirm it?

Yes, fixed, thank you!

BTW, now that I'm actually using the new exporter, (despite my
complaints at first) I find it an improvement over the old beamer
exporter. The org representation of the LaTeX structure seems cleaner
and more consistent. While I would have liked to use my old
presentations without much editing, it's well worth the effort.

A concrete example: Often, I want to have a column of bullet list on
the left and an image on the right. In the old exporter, the columns
had to be marked by headlines, which produced a bullet point. So then,
I had to display silly things like:

> Screenshot     ( ">" represents the bullet)
  Image below

In the new exporter, a column is still a headline, but that turns into
a block and a headline is hidden. So this:

*** Right column (screenshot)       :BMCOL:
    :PROPERTIES:...
    [[./img/whatever.png]]

Displays perfectly cleanly, no extra junk in the PDF. (And the image
even inherits the column width, which the old exporter did not do
nicely IIRC.)

TL;DR -- I take back most of what I said before :)

hjh