* convert html file into orgmode .org file?
@ 2011-07-21  8:38 Jude DaShiell
From: Jude DaShiell @ 2011-07-21  8:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Can org-mode do this so that a user of orgmode can edit the page in
orgmode then export the edited work back out to an html file?

* Re: convert html file into orgmode .org file?
@ 2011-07-21  9:07 ` Puneeth Chaganti
From: Puneeth Chaganti @ 2011-07-21  9:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jude DaShiell; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Jul 21, 2011 at 2:08 PM, Jude DaShiell <jdashiel@shellworld.net> wrote:
> Can org-mode do this so that a user of orgmode can edit the page in
> orgmode then export the edited work back out to an html file?

Org-mode cannot import html files.  But, you could try using Pandoc[1]
for this.

[1] - http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/

--
Puneeth

* Re: convert html file into orgmode .org file?
@ 2011-07-21 19:34   ` Charles Philip Chan
From: Charles Philip Chan @ 2011-07-21 19:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

<#secure method=pgpmime mode=sign>
Puneeth Chaganti <punchagan@gmail.com> writes:

> Org-mode cannot import html files.  But, you could try using Pandoc[1]
> for this.
>
> [1] - http://johnmacfarlane.net/pandoc/

There is also an Emacs mode for pandoc:

http://user.uni-frankfurt.de/~kremers/pandoc-mode.html

Charles

--
Why use Windows, since there is a door?
(By fachat@galileo.rhein-neckar.de, Andre Fachat)

* Re: convert html file into orgmode .org file?
@ 2011-07-22 16:53     ` brian powell
From: brian powell @ 2011-07-22 16:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org-mode

* This worked for me:
** apt-get install pandoc
* Booted up an EMACS that has the menus enabled.
** Install pandoc-mode.el (see
http://wwwuser.gwdg.de/~jkremer/pandoc-mode.html )
** Goto buffer with .html doc in it.
*** Get OrgMode and PanDocMode running simultaneously in the same buffer.
** Click on the PanDoc menus in EMACS:
*** Chose PanDoc->Files->OutputFile->SetOutputFile (and I typed /tmp/test.org)
*** Chose PanDoc->OutputFormat->OrgMode
*** Chose PanDoc->RunPanDoc
* /tmp/test.org was created--looked pretty good; but, "your mileage
may vary"--depends on the structure of the HTML file.
** PanDoc has a lot of filetype conversions!
** I often use "html2csv" --by Author: Sébastien SAUVAGE <sebsauvage
at sebsauvage dot net> http://sebsauvage.net
*** And/or use PERL or EMACS to go the rest of the way.

Thanks Puneeth for the link to PanDoc (and the sublink to PanDocMode for EMACS)!

* PanDoc also has interesting file inclusion and elisp “double-at
directives”: See
http://wwwuser.gwdg.de/~jkremer/pandoc-mode-manual.pdf
** Someone sought to include the "markdown" in their doc I believe.
** Can do things like this (when using PanDoc/PanDoc-mode.el

@@include{blah.txt}

@@lisp{(format-time-string "%d %b %Y")}

@ 2011-07-24 23:17       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2011-07-24 23:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: brian powell; +Cc: Org-mode

Hi Brian,

brian powell <briangpowellms@gmail.com> writes:

> * This worked for me:

so...  converting from HTML back to Org!  Great.  And I'll
check Pandoc soon, I'm a fan of this kind of tools.

If you have a minute, would you like to check the Org FAQ
on Worg and submit a new entry?  This questions keeps being
raised, it would be nice to share this solution.

Thanks!

--
 Bastien