* Idea 1 Create a "cron job" or "at job" that does updates up to the minute and make those images current...and local--and the cron job can auto-delete the temp file later or back it up * Idea 2 Make an elisp .el program that gets loaded and run whenever you open the .org file with the remote image...and that code updates the images locally * Idea 3 Use the patch you reference and create your own .el program that gets loaded and run when you want it--a cursory examination of the patch reveals that it depends on ImageMagick which is great software that everyone should use; but, it's a dependency that is NOT emacs software and so it makes sense that it was never put into the main OrgMode software tree P.S. I created code and methods to put and run animated .gif's into OrgMode buffers and run them, it was amusing; but, it wasted a lot of ram and slowed everything down Emacs and OrgMode do many great things; but, the focus has always been, at it's core, the most powerful editor and stateless organizing software--it's not a browser of dynamically generated Internet pics--Emacs W3 was created to do that, and it hasn't been updated in years--suggest you look at Emacs W3 browser code and/or w3m browser or even UZBL browser--all of which were made into good extensions for doing such things--UZBL by the way has been made to operate fully encapsulated in an emacs buffer On Thu, Nov 28, 2019 at 12:36 PM Jack Kamm wrote: > When trying to display a remote image file in an org-mode buffer, I > only see a blank square instead of the image. > > This is a longstanding problem, and there was an attempt to patch it in > 2014, but the patch was never accepted: > https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2014-11/msg00583.html > > The fault might be with image.el rather than with org-mode itself -- > for example, when I execute the following elisp, I get the same blank > box: > > (insert-image (create-image "/scp:pi:/home/pi/foo.png")) > > However, if I open the remote file in its own buffer using image-mode, > I can correctly view the image. > > Anyways, I would like to try and fix this, but not sure whether we > should pursue a fix in org.el (as in the linked patch), or in > image.el, or elsewhere. > > Any advice on how to proceed here? > >