I'm absolutely sure that I read it somewhere--its "Lay-Teck"--and again; if you think about it, that's what it ought to be. Hilarious "La" isn't from "Lamport"--very funny though. I agree though, this is up to me to prove; but, don't hold your breath--it may be hard to find--I have books to the ceiling in every room in my house--and many on TeX and its derivatives. On Thu, Dec 24, 2015 at 9:49 AM, Nick Dokos wrote: > "briangpowell ." writes: > > > I believe I read how to correctly pronounce LaTeX as Lay-Teck (and why > > its important--to honor the creator of TeX's wishes+intentions, Donald > > Knuth) in Leslie Lamport's book onLaTeX--in the preface. > > The TeX FAQ (http://www.tex.ac.uk/FAQ-latexpronounce.html) contradicts > you: > > ,---- > | How should I pronounce “LaTeX(2e)”? > | > | Lamport never recommended how one should pronounce LaTeX, but a lot of > | people pronounce it ‘Lay TeX’ or perhaps ‘Lah TeX’ (with TeX pronounced > | as the program itself; see the rules for TeX). It is definitely not to > | be pronounced in the same way as the rubber-tree gum (which would be > | ‘lay teks’). > | > | The LaTeX2e logo is supposed to end with an ε; nevertheless, most people > | pronounce the name as ‘LaTeX-two-ee’. > `---- > > Lamport's first edition is packed away so I can't check it right now, > but the second edition preface certainly does not say anything about > the pronunciation of LaTeX. > > > Small note, feel free to ignore it (one and all); but, "LaTeX" is > properly > > pronounced: "Lay-Teck"--since its a macro language which "lays on top of > > TeX"--the TeX part you pronounced correctly, which is the part that > really > > matters (Tau-Epsilon-Chi). > > and > > > And when you think about it, pronouncing it as "Lay" does make sense > "La" only means "the" > > in some romance Languages and the "L" and "A" don't stand for anything > in particular > > either--LA isn't an acronym--and it has no "foreign language" meaning. > Its not "The > > TeX"--TeX is "The TeX"--the lowest primal language itself, programmed in > C. > > > > I believe you are overthinking this. > > I have never seen any evidence for either of these statements: > > o that LaTeX is pronounced Lay-Teck (or Lay-Tekh if we follow Knuth's > direction of adding moisture to the screen) because it "lays on top > of TeX" (btw, are you quoting somebody else here? or quoting yourself?) > > o that there is some connection between the "La" in LaTeX and the > article in some romance languages. > > Do you have any independent evidence for either of these? > > Here is another interpretation which IMO is more likely than anything > you have presented (but is equally unsupported by actual evidence): the > "La" in LaTeX comes from the "La" in Lamport. > > -- > Nick > > >