* Create course material with org-mode
@ 2013-03-09 22:21 Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2013-03-09 22:21 UTC (permalink / raw)

I plan to create new course materials for teaching at university level.

These materials should contain
- a printable course script
- an interactive web-course
- lecture slides
- exercises
- exams

I'm looking for a system which enables me to keep all materials together
and to reuse as much as possible the same source files.

E.g., for a particular topic, I would love to create all the above
materials within a single file. This would help me to keep it among all
materials coherent, correct errors and do updates effectively and save
(hopefully) a lot of time.

I was looking into different directions like using HTML5, LaTeX, etc.
However, I didn't find a perfect solution yet. I know many of you do
 similar work and hence, I really would love to hear about any ideas,
tricks, systems or solutions.

Furthermore, I wonder how much I could use org-mode (to make this thread
not off-topic ;)) to solve the above task.

Thanks

Torsten

* Re: Create course material with org-mode
@ 2013-03-09 23:20 ` Thorsten Jolitz
From: Thorsten Jolitz @ 2013-03-09 23:20 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

> I plan to create new course materials for teaching at university level.

slightly OT, but you could have a look at LaTeX package

,----------------------------------
| http://www.ctan.org/pkg/tcolorbox
`----------------------------------

and its manual

,---------------------------------------------------------------------
| http://mirrors.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/tcolorbox/tcolorbox.pdf
`---------------------------------------------------------------------

its well suited for presenting source-code & output as well as
exercises & solutions.

--
cheers,
Thorsten

* Re: Create course material with org-mode
@ 2013-03-11 10:52   ` Torsten Wagner
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2013-03-11 10:52 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Thorsten,

thanks for the links. I will look into them.

Actually the topic is not exactly OT, I'm looking for a "meta-system" which
helps me to keep all those different things together. Hopefully, in a way
which allows me to generate different kind of course material from the same
sources.
I was wondering, can org-mode be such a "meta-system" e.g. could I keep
materials of a certain topic within a single org-file and use (customized)
exporters to create the desired outputs like a interactive HTML version, a
printable PDF, exercises and questions for exams?

E.g. a file structure like this

* Theory
text text text

** Interactive example :HTML
Bable code

** more theory in detail
*** Images

** lecture slides :BEAMER

** Exercises
*** Solutions

** Exam questions
*** 1
*** 2
*** 3

This file should ideally run through different exporters to generate
interactive HTML for a website,
printable PDF version,
slides for a lecture,
exercises with and without solution,
exam questions,

One task which might require some more attention (and code) would be to
compile e.g.  the entire script from different source files. Same for an
entire exam, a set of exercise, etc.
The benefit of an approach like above would be that I can keep all related
infos close to each other. It would be much easier to make changes among
all different outputs, create new material, etc.
Hope this makes my idea more clear.

Thanks for helping

Torsten

@ 2013-03-11 11:07     ` Andreas Röhler
From: Andreas Röhler @ 2013-03-11 11:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Am 11.03.2013 11:52, schrieb Torsten Wagner:
> Hi Thorsten,
>
> thanks for the links. I will look into them.
>
> Actually the topic is not exactly OT, I'm looking for a "meta-system" which
> helps me to keep all those different things together. Hopefully, in a way
> which allows me to generate different kind of course material from the same
> sources.
> I was wondering, can org-mode be such a "meta-system" e.g. could I keep
> materials of a certain topic within a single org-file and use (customized)
> exporters to create the desired outputs like a interactive HTML version, a
> printable PDF, exercises and questions for exams?
>
> E.g. a file structure like this
>
> * Theory
> text text text
>
> ** Interactive example :HTML
> Bable code
>
> ** more theory in detail
> *** Images
>
> ** lecture slides :BEAMER
>
> ** Exercises
> *** Solutions
>
> ** Exam questions
> *** 1
> *** 2
> *** 3
>
> This file should ideally run through different exporters to generate
> interactive HTML for a website,
> printable PDF version,
> slides for a lecture,
> exercises with and without solution,
> exam questions,
>
> One task which might require some more attention (and code) would be to
> compile e.g.  the entire script from different source files. Same for an
> entire exam, a set of exercise, etc.
> The benefit of an approach like above would be that I can keep all related
> infos close to each other. It would be much easier to make changes among
> all different outputs, create new material, etc.
> Hope this makes my idea more clear.
>
> Thanks for helping
>
> Torsten
>

> On 10 March 2013 00:20, Thorsten Jolitz <tjolitz@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:
>>
>>> I plan to create new course materials for teaching at university level.
>>
>> slightly OT, but you could have a look at LaTeX package
>>
>> ,----------------------------------
>> | http://www.ctan.org/pkg/tcolorbox
>> `----------------------------------
>>
>> and its manual
>>
>> ,---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> | http://mirrors.ctan.org/macros/latex/contrib/tcolorbox/tcolorbox.pdf
>> `---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>
>> its well suited for presenting source-code & output as well as
>> exercises & solutions.
>>
>> --
>> cheers,
>> Thorsten

Hi Thorsten,

from what I understand, org-mode is designed for this.
Probably org-babel is the point to start, exporting sections with different kind of text/code.

http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contrib/babel/index.html

Should you miss a part, assume there are good chances to get it written after request.

Looking forward to see it grow,

Andreas

* Re: Create course material with org-mode
@ 2013-03-11 15:40     ` W. Greenhouse
From: W. Greenhouse @ 2013-03-11 15:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Torsten,

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Actually the topic is not exactly OT, I'm looking for a "meta-system"
> which helps me to keep all those different things together.
> Hopefully, in a way which allows me to generate different kind of
> course material from the same sources.
> I was wondering, can org-mode be such a "meta-system" e.g. could I
> keep materials of a certain topic within a single org-file and use
> (customized) exporters to create the desired outputs like a
> interactive HTML version, a printable PDF, exercises and questions
> for exams?

Org should be ideal for this.  Each subtree can be configured with its
own export settings, so e.g. you can use a different LaTeX style for the
lecture slides, exams, and problem sets.

Don't forget also that you can measure student progress in this file,
too :) Org has a spreadsheet, and you could use it as a grade book if
you wish.

WGG

* Re: Create course material with org-mode
@ 2013-03-11 20:30     ` T.F. Torrey
                         ` (2 more replies)
From: T.F. Torrey @ 2013-03-11 20:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Torsten Wagner; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, tjolitz

Hello Thorsten,

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

> Actually the topic is not exactly OT, I'm looking for a "meta-system" which
> helps me to keep all those different things together. Hopefully, in a way
> which allows me to generate different kind of course material from the same
> sources.
> I was wondering, can org-mode be such a "meta-system" e.g. could I keep
> materials of a certain topic within a single org-file and use (customized)
> exporters to create the desired outputs like a interactive HTML version, a
> printable PDF, exercises and questions for exams?
>
> E.g. a file structure like this
>
> * Theory
> text text text
>
> ** Interactive example :HTML
> Bable code
>
> ** more theory in detail
> *** Images
>
> ** lecture slides :BEAMER
>
> ** Exercises
> *** Solutions
>
> ** Exam questions
> *** 1
> *** 2
> *** 3

This is more or less precisely the structure I use for managing my work.
I maintain each project as one Org file, keeping together all related
text, todo lists, spreadsheets, web pages, letters, and even files like
SVG files.  This way I can add just one file (per project) to my agenda
and not miss any tasks, and backing up my critical work is just a matter
of copying my Org files.  When needed, I also export the individual
nodes as HTML, PDF, OpenDocument, csv, or whatever.

This works very well for me, even when I am treating university classes
as projects and keeping the syllabus, instruction material, lab
material, data, tests, correspondence, and everything else together in
one file.

> This file should ideally run through different exporters to generate
> interactive HTML for a website,
> printable PDF version,
> slides for a lecture,
> exercises with and without solution,
> exam questions,
>
> One task which might require some more attention (and code) would be to
> compile e.g.  the entire script from different source files. Same for an
> entire exam, a set of exercise, etc.
> The benefit of an approach like above would be that I can keep all related
> infos close to each other. It would be much easier to make changes among
> all different outputs, create new material, etc.
> Hope this makes my idea more clear.
>
> Thanks for helping
>
> Torsten

It was this capability of Org that first captured me as a user, and I
still know of nothing else with so much accessibility, utility, and
power.

I'd be happy to give you more information about how to set up an Org
file to export to different formats the way I use mine, but really the
information is very clear in the manual.

And of course, if you have any trouble, the list is really great.

All the best,
Terry
--
T.F. Torrey

* Re: Create course material with org-mode
@ 2013-03-11 20:59       ` Marco
From: Marco @ 2013-03-11 20:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: T.F. Torrey; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi list, and Terry,

> This is more or less precisely the structure I use for managing my work.
> I maintain each project as one Org file, keeping together all related
> text, todo lists, spreadsheets, web pages, letters, and even files like
> SVG files.  This way I can add just one file (per project) to my agenda
> and not miss any tasks, and backing up my critical work is just a matter
> of copying my Org files.  When needed, I also export the individual
> nodes as HTML, PDF, OpenDocument, csv, or whatever.

> I'd be happy to give you more information about how to set up an Org
> file to export to different formats the way I use mine, but really the
> information is very clear in the manual.

I find it would be great, at least for me, to have a "working example"
plus a couple of hints. I will be glad if you can provide a
stripped-down version of your working solution, so that I could just
try the workflow "hands on"!
Greets (and keep up the great work),
Marco

* Re: Create course material with org-mode
@ 2013-03-11 21:56 ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2013-03-11 21:56 UTC (permalink / raw)

On 9 March 2013 17:21, Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I plan to create new course materials for teaching at university level.

<snip>

> I'm looking for a system which enables me to keep all materials together and
> to reuse as much as possible the same source files.
>
> E.g., for a particular topic, I would love to create all the above materials
> within a single file. This would help me to keep it among all materials
> coherent, correct errors and do updates effectively and save (hopefully) a
> lot of time.

Hi Torsten,

I thought I'd muddy your waters by throwing a contrary voice into the mix :-)

I've been refining the way I manage my college and uni teaching with
org for 5+ years, now. I am making extensive use of the scheduling and
TODO functionality. I am not storing course materials in the org
files. I found that I could not get by with just one teaching.org
file, but instead needed to break out each class into its own org
file. With everything in one, even on my pretty beefy box (quad core
i7, 8GB RAM) there was too much of a periodic lag when editing the org
file for that to be comfortable. On my netbook (which I take to the
office as the College insists I need a Windows box on my desk), the
lag made working with the file far too painful. I've not tried putting
my (extensive) LaTeX beamer slides sources, exams, etc. into the org
files, but I fear the lag would again occur.

I've been keeping all course related material other than the org files
which manage scheduling into a seperate directory under git version
control and I link from the org file's scheduled tasks to the relevant
course related materials. It seems to be working in that I am halfway
through the term and am at most a week behind :-) Having those
materials in nested dirs in the filesystem is helpful, too; it allows
granular use of things like $git log . and that often gives me a
better sense of what I've been up to than would running git log
against one monster all in org file.

I don't however too much by way of multiple outputs derived from
common sources. I let LaTeX beamer's facilities take care of prodicing
a display and a downloadable version of my slides. That just needs two
short master files which \include the body of the slides. What
duplication I have is in things like tests and paper topics when I
have multiple sections of the same course in a term, differing only in
section numbers and dates. The duplication is a bit inellegant, but it
is not extensive enough for me to worry about the overhead of avoiding
it. And, disk space is approximately free, at least if one is worried
about having duplicates of latex sources that generate a few pages.

HTH,

Brian vdB

* Re: Create course material with org-mode
@ 2013-03-11 22:02       ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-03-11 22:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-03-11, o godz. 13:30:41
tftorrey@tftorrey.com (T.F. Torrey) napisał(a):

> Hello Thorsten,
>
> Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:
>
> > Actually the topic is not exactly OT, I'm looking for a
> > "meta-system" which helps me to keep all those different things
> > together. Hopefully, in a way which allows me to generate different
> > kind of course material from the same sources.
> > I was wondering, can org-mode be such a "meta-system" e.g. could I
> > keep materials of a certain topic within a single org-file and use
> > (customized) exporters to create the desired outputs like a
> > interactive HTML version, a printable PDF, exercises and questions
> > for exams?
> >
> > E.g. a file structure like this
> >
> > * Theory
> > text text text
> >
> > ** Interactive example :HTML
> > Bable code
> >
> > ** more theory in detail
> > *** Images
> >
> > ** lecture slides :BEAMER
> >
> > ** Exercises
> > *** Solutions
> >
> > ** Exam questions
> > *** 1
> > *** 2
> > *** 3

Hi all,

I am quite new here - I subscribed to this list just yesterday - but I
read the OP in this thread on the web (in fact, I've sent a private
email to Torsten; for the sake of completeness, let me repeat the link
I've given to him here:
http://tex.stackexchange.com/questions/22269/comparing-packages-which-facilitate-typesetting-exercises-and-solutions-exercis).
Also, here is something which some of you might find interesting:
http://acrotex.net/ (tl;dr: it is a LaTeX-based, partly free, partly
commercial suite for producing educational materials, among others
interactive pdfs, and maintaining exercise databases).

In fact, I am not personally interested in Org-mode's LaTeX export -
being an Org-mode user for a little more than one year (or so) and a
long-time TeX user (almost 20 years), I'm comfortable authoring in
LaTeX.  I even did try to write a paper in Org, but soon moved backed
to LaTeX, where I seemed to be much more in control (which might not be
objectively true, but that is what I felt).

That said, I find Org-mode's note-taking/outlining and task management
features really, really great - I'd like to thank all developers for
this great tool!

And to get on-topic: I'd be very glad to see your setup, being also an
academic teacher.

Also, an interesting (I guess) thought struck me today.  While (as I
said) writing LaTeX documents in Org-mode feels awkward for me,
developing LaTeX packages using Org's "Babel" features seems like a
great idea.  In the LaTeX world, /the/ tool for developing packages is
the docstrip "suite", which lets the developer have the code and docs
interspersed in one .dtx file (literate programming) and also create
a few files, optionally sharing some code (denoted by special tags in
the .dtx file), from one source, with instructions to do this in an .ins
(installation) file. I imagine that Org-mode might make this process
much more convenient, due to its features, like structure folding,
hyperlinks, exporting etc.; what's more, I think that (at least) one
thing might be actually easier in Org-mode than in docstrip, namely
testing (I imagine having source code, comments, tests and example
LaTeX files all in one Org-mode file, and being able to tangle the
code, install it, compile an example and start a pdf viewer all with
one keystroke.)  (This is obviously possible just in Emacs + AUCTeX
and .dtx file, by means of some customization and simple elisp
programming, but my guts tell me that it might be a natural application
of Org-mode exporting feature.)

Please tell me whether the above paragraph makes any sense to you; if
yes, I might start thinking about how such a system might be
implemented.  (A necessary feature would have to be actually creating
"traditional" .dtx/.ins pair of files to make it possible to install
all this without emacs - some TeXackers are somehow happy with inferior
editors;).)

Best,

--
Marcin Borkowski
Adam Mickiewicz University

* Re: Create course material with org-mode
@ 2013-03-12 15:08       ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2013-03-12 15:08 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi  Andreas,

thanks for the reply. I'm  a long time user of babel already.
Thus, I am pretty sure it will be part of the solution :)

Thanks again for confirmation

Torsten

@ 2013-03-12 15:27       ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2013-03-12 15:27 UTC (permalink / raw)

yeah, org-mode is extremely flexible. I guess by time one can map all kind
of different aspects of teaching to org-mode.
I'm a bit concerned about the long-time support. Org-mode is a very active
project. I guess I can't assume that I can generate my 5 year old export
files without modification with a current release.
However, my older colleagues taught me by example, it should be still
better compared to any proprietary file.

Thanks for the input.

Torsten

@ 2013-03-12 15:30       ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2013-03-12 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Terry,

I second the request. A example file would be great.
Esp. how you configured the exporters to export partially and across
several files.
Did you integrate babel code as well?
Would really be glad to hear more.

Thanks

Torsten

@ 2013-03-12 15:43   ` Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2013-03-12 15:43 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hi Brian,

Hi Torsten,

> I thought I'd muddy your waters by throwing a contrary voice into the mix
> :-)

NOOOO do not destroy my view of a perfect world.... ;)

> I've been refining the way I manage my college and uni teaching with
> org for 5+ years, now. I am making extensive use of the scheduling and
> TODO functionality. I am not storing course materials in the org
> files. I found that I could not get by with just one teaching.org
> file, but instead needed to break out each class into its own org
> file. With everything in one, even on my pretty beefy box (quad core
> i7, 8GB RAM) there was too much of a periodic lag when editing the org
> file for that to be comfortable. On my netbook (which I take to the
> office as the College insists I need a Windows box on my desk), the
> lag made working with the file far too painful. I've not tried putting
> my (extensive) LaTeX beamer slides sources, exams, etc. into the org
> files, but I fear the lag would again occur.

Actually, that might be misunderstood. My aim is not to create a
teaching.org file but many org-files, one for each topic. I totally agree a
single org-mode file for an entire course would be really fast difficult to
maintain.
A complete course might consist of many org-files. Splitting the entire
lecture in a similar way like an ordinary table of content.
However, I would love to keep all infos of a certain topic within a single
org-mode file together. Slides, lecture notes, exam questions, exercises,
organisation, TODOs, ideas, maybe code, etc.

> I've been keeping all course related material other than the org files
> which manage scheduling into a seperate directory under git version
> control and I link from the org file's scheduled tasks to the relevant
> course related materials. It seems to be working in that I am halfway
> through the term and am at most a week behind :-) Having those
> materials in nested dirs in the filesystem is helpful, too; it allows
> granular use of things like $git log . and that often gives me a
> better sense of what I've been up to than would running git log
> against one monster all in org file.

GIT will be definitely part of my toolchain independent of the usage of
org-mode.

> I don't however too much by way of multiple outputs derived from
> common sources. I let LaTeX beamer's facilities take care of prodicing
> a display and a downloadable version of my slides. That just needs two
> short master files which \include the body of the slides. What
> duplication I have is in things like tests and paper topics when I
> have multiple sections of the same course in a term, differing only in
> section numbers and dates. The duplication is a bit inellegant, but it
> is not extensive enough for me to worry about the overhead of avoiding
> it. And, disk space is approximately free, at least if one is worried
> about having duplicates of latex sources that generate a few pages.

Actually, that is exactly what I am trying to figure out at the moment. How
to generate a entire script or lecture slides from different org-mode files
which contain not only one sort buy many different sorts of information.

Thanks for the input, I guess  we are more on the the same path rather then
contrary. ;)

Best

@ 2013-03-12 16:47         ` Marcin Borkowski
From: Marcin Borkowski @ 2013-03-12 16:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Dnia 2013-03-11, o godz. 23:02:46
Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> napisał(a):

> Also, here is something which some of you might find interesting:
> http://acrotex.net/ (tl;dr: it is a LaTeX-based, partly free, partly
> commercial suite for producing educational materials, among others
> interactive pdfs, and maintaining exercise databases).

Hi again,

one more thought: since it seems that there are quite a few people here
using LaTeX for educational purposes, I thought you might be interested
in ConTeXt (see http://wiki.contextgarden.net/Main_Page).  It is also a
TeX-based tool, imho better than LaTeX (though definitely less stable -
nevertheless, there are people who use it for production purposes - and
not only its developers).  It was developed as a general-purpose tool
(unlike LaTeX, which is still - after 30 years - mainly aimed at
academia; LaTeX3 should change it, but it's still far from ready), but
with educational documents being an important focus.

If anyone is interested, I can write some more about it, especially
about its pros and cons as opposed to LaTeX (I've been using both
extensively for quite a few years now).

Best,

--

@ 2013-03-12 17:21           ` Jay Kerns
From: Jay Kerns @ 2013-03-12 17:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Marcin Borkowski; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hello,

On Tue, Mar 12, 2013 at 12:47 PM, Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> wrote:
> Dnia 2013-03-11, o godz. 23:02:46
> Marcin Borkowski <mbork@wmi.amu.edu.pl> napisał(a):

[snip]

Many comments.

- You can set up a single org file with tagged headings, like this:
  * These are my slides			      :slide:
  * These are my Lecture Notes		    :lecture:
  * Here are Exam questions		       :exam:
  * Here be Exercises	 		              :exer:
  * Organisation of everything		      :organ:

- Then when it comes time to export you can do the
  #+EXCLUDE_TAGS: slide exam exer organ
  which will export your lecture notes.

- Set up a PROPERTY line for each heading to tangle to different
  places (if desired), like this:
  * Organisation of everything		      :organ:
  :PROPERTIES:
  :tangle:   organ.R
  :END:

- Beamer is a case all its own.  It might be easier to have a
  single big Beamer org file which has all slides and then another
  org file(s) for everything else.  Maybe I'm wrong, though; try it!

- Org publishing is very powerful.  You can set up assorted
  publishing projects to do almost /anything/.

- I have some example org-publishing setup from some time ago.  I
  haven't updated these to the new exporter but it can at least
  give you an idea about what used to be possible:
  https://github.com/gjkerns/config/blob/master/dotemacs.el

- Regarding exams/quizzes, at first I used LaTeX, then moved to
  LyX a long time ago, then managed to get an example Org file
  working, then it stopped working (and it seemed easier to do with
  LyX anyway), so I went back to LyX, but now the new exporter is
  out, so after reading your message I went back to see if I
  could get the old example working again, and I did!
  https://github.com/gjkerns/samplequiz

- My personal workflow is to put the book in one org file, then
  lecture notes in another org file, then grades in another org
  file. YMMV.

- The book is a lengthy org file which is still in the much
  lengthier process of conversion to the new exporter.
  https://github.com/gjkerns/IPSUR

Good luck and best wishes.

--
Jay