I banned Cygwin quite a while ago because of too many instabilities (versions of the dll), and the awful stuff of being obliged to "mount" drives and so on. Windows is not Unix. If I want Unix, I install some Ubuntu in a VM or on a spare machine. Under Windows, I use gnuwin32 whenever I can and mingw/msys sometimes (just to compile the trunk org-mode at the moment, because it is easier than write msvc makefiles) Back to w3m, rendering html this way may be ok, but it remains quite slow, it make emacs busy for something that chrome is designed to do quickly. So I use chrome and gmail. Once you find that you can program some stuff with scripts in google apps, I do almost what I was used to with Gnus. I can even compose messages in emacs if needed (using the edit server chrome extension for emacs). Well everyone has to find his best setup. Sorry for having been out of topic (hopefully not out of interest for everyone). Fabrice 2013/3/26 Sebastien Vauban > Hi Nick, > > Nick Dokos wrote: > >> - I wish Emacs to be able to actually render HTML in a buffer (w3m not > >> a valid option under Windows at least) > > > > Under Linux, w3m is usable (just barely) but like all text browsers, it > > works better with text-heavy pages without too many bells and whistles: > > certainly not a substitute for a full-blown browser. Re: Windows - the > web > > page says it's available on Windows (with Cygwin): is that not true? > > It is available from Cygwin, and it does work well for the HTML mails I > receive in Gnus. Of course, it's limited (no JavaScript, a.o.), but that's > no > different from under Linux. > > Best regards, > Seb > > -- > Sebastien Vauban > > > -- Fabrice Popineau ----------------------------- SUPELEC Département Informatique 3, rue Joliot Curie 91192 Gif/Yvette Cedex Tel direct : +33 (0) 169851950 Standard : +33 (0) 169851212 ------------------------------