* BIND and LaTeX export
@ 2013-05-13 13:58 Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2013-05-13 13:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Is it me or something is wrong with the very latest org-mode (git
repository).
I have this line in my org-file :

#+BIND: org-latex-pdf-process ("pdflatex -interaction nonstopmode
-shell-escape -output-directory %o %f")

My default value for this variable states that lualatex is used for
compilation.
Even using the BIND line, it is still lualatex which is used.
And I have set org-export-allow-bind-keywords to t.

I'm pretty sure it worked a couple of days ago.

Thanks for any help,

--
Fabrice

* Re: BIND and LaTeX export
@ 2013-05-13 17:07 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-05-13 17:07 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Popineau; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@supelec.fr> writes:

> Is it me or something is wrong with the very latest org-mode (git
> repository).
> I have this line in my org-file :
>
> #+BIND: org-latex-pdf-process ("pdflatex -interaction nonstopmode
> -shell-escape -output-directory %o %f")
>
> My default value for this variable states that lualatex is used for
> compilation.
> Even using the BIND line, it is still lualatex which is used.
> And I have set org-export-allow-bind-keywords to t.
>
> I'm pretty sure it worked a couple of days ago.

I'm surprised it even worked. BIND keywords only affect the export
process, i.e. Org to LaTeX translation in this case. File compilation to
PDF is a post-processing thing, these keywords don't survive that long.

You may use file local variables instead.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: BIND and LaTeX export
@ 2013-05-13 19:13   ` Fabrice Popineau
From: Fabrice Popineau @ 2013-05-13 19:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

2013/5/13 Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>

> Hello,
>
> Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@supelec.fr> writes:
>
> > Is it me or something is wrong with the very latest org-mode (git
> > repository).
> > I have this line in my org-file :
> >
> > #+BIND: org-latex-pdf-process ("pdflatex -interaction nonstopmode
> > -shell-escape -output-directory %o %f")
> >
> > My default value for this variable states that lualatex is used for
> > compilation.
> > Even using the BIND line, it is still lualatex which is used.
> > And I have set org-export-allow-bind-keywords to t.
> >
> > I'm pretty sure it worked a couple of days ago.
>
> I'm surprised it even worked. BIND keywords only affect the export
> process, i.e. Org to LaTeX translation in this case. File compilation to
> PDF is a post-processing thing, these keywords don't survive that long.

I may have been fooled by my emacs config.
But anyway, given the name org-latex-*,
I thought that it could make sense that this variable survive
till the end of the compilation :-)

> You may use file local variables instead.

Thanks for the hint.

Fabrice

* Re: BIND and LaTeX export
@ 2013-05-16 17:52     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2013-05-16 17:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Fabrice Popineau; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hello,

Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@supelec.fr> writes:

> 2013/5/13 Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com>

>> Fabrice Popineau <fabrice.popineau@supelec.fr> writes:
>>
>> I'm surprised it even worked. BIND keywords only affect the export
>> process, i.e. Org to LaTeX translation in this case. File compilation to
>> PDF is a post-processing thing, these keywords don't survive that long.
>>

> I may have been fooled by my emacs config.
> But anyway, given the name org-latex-*,
> I thought that it could make sense that this variable survive
> till the end of the compilation :-)

I understand the problem, but given the separation between the export
framework and its back-ends, it's difficult to do so.

Indeed, variables are bound in the temporary buffer copy created for the
translation but back-ends commands are only given a string (or a buffer
or a file name) containing the output. At this time, the copy isn't
alive anymore.

IOW, there are a few variables that cannot be set using BIND keywords.
On the other hand, they still can be set with file local variables.

Nicolas Goaziou