* Bug: org agenda leader text "on-the-date" doesn't show for items with both SCHEDULED and DEADLINE properties [9.1.9 (release_9.1.9-65-g5e4542 @ /usr/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/org/)]
@ 2020-08-10  9:48 Dinnyés Dániel
From: Dinnyés Dániel @ 2020-08-10  9:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

--text follows this line--

I am using factory default Emacs and Org-mode settings.

I am using the following org todo item:

#+BEGIN_SRC org
* TODO EXAMPLE
  SCHEDULED: <2020-08-09 Sun>
  DEADLINE: <2020-08-09 Sun>
#+END_SRC

It is expected that on the date 2020-08-09 I will see 2 lines in my Org
agenda: one with "Scheduled:" leader text, while the other with
"Deadline:" leader text.

What happens instead is that one of the lines show "Scheduled:" leader
text, and the other line shows no leader text at all.

Also, consider changing the order of the SCHEDULED and DEADLINE properties:

#+BEGIN_SRC org
* TODO EXAMPLE
  DEADLINE: <2020-08-09 Sun>
  SCHEDULED: <2020-08-09 Sun>
#+END_SRC

In this case it will be only the "Deadline:" leader text shown on one of
the lines, while the other line shows no leader text at all.

Therefore my assumption, is that somehow only the first of the
properties is taken into account, while the property which comes second
is ignored.

As stated earlier, the expected behaviour is that both leader/warning
texts are displayed on their appropriate line entry.

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 26.1 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.5)
 of 2019-09-23, modified by Debian
Package: Org mode version 9.1.9 (release_9.1.9-65-g5e4542 @
/usr/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/org/)

* Re: Bug: org agenda leader text "on-the-date" doesn't show for items with both SCHEDULED and DEADLINE properties [9.1.9 (release_9.1.9-65-g5e4542 @ /usr/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/org/)]
  2020-08-10  9:48 Bug: org agenda leader text "on-the-date" doesn't show for items with both SCHEDULED and DEADLINE properties [9.1.9 (release_9.1.9-65-g5e4542 @ /usr/share/emacs/26.1/lisp/org/)] Dinnyés Dániel
@ 2020-08-13 17:13 ` Dinnyés Dániel
From: Dinnyés Dániel @ 2020-08-13 17:13 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi all,

Any response regarding this? Was this registered? If so, Is there a link to
track the bug status?

Cheers,
D.

@ 2020-08-13 17:45   ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2020-08-13 17:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 06:13:09PM +0100, Dinnyés Dániel wrote:
> Any response regarding this? Was this registered? If so, Is there a link to
> track the bug status?

Dinnyés,

There is only the mailing list, there is no web based bug
tracker. These reports get attention as time permits. Developers
typically respond on the thread as that occurs. I'm just a helpful
guy. ;]

More below regarding your issue.

> > As stated earlier, the expected behaviour is that both leader/warning
> > texts are displayed on their appropriate line entry.

I can reproduce your issue on Emacs 27.1 and Org 9.3.7, however it's
the documented behavior. The SCHEDULED and DEADLINE keywords must be
on the first line after the TODO item. They are not like a PROPERTY
block with dynamic placement within the block.

Referring to the manual,
https://orgmode.org/manual/Deadlines-and-Scheduling.html

#+begin_quote
 A timestamp may be preceded by special keywords to facilitate
 planning. Both the timestamp and the keyword have to be positioned
 immediately after the task they refer to.
#+end_quote

Using C-c C-s (insert scheduled), and C-c C-d (insert deadline), Org
consistently appends them to the first line.

How did your org file have them on separate lines?

I agree that it may be slightly counter-intuitive to type manually,
but the tools provided add them correctly.

If the behavior bothers you, I'm certain everyone would welcome a
patch.

Finally, I've often wondered why Org hasn't migrated to using PROPERTY
drawers for all headline metadata. I suppose it's for legacy
compatibility. Perhaps you have an opinion there. I may start a thread
regarding that separately.

My sample file:

#+begin_src org
  ,* TODO EXAMPLE sched first
    SCHEDULED: <2020-08-13 Thu>
    DEADLINE: <2020-08-13 Thu>

  ,* TODO EXAMPLE1 dead first
    DEADLINE: <2020-08-13 Thu>
    SCHEDULED: <2020-08-13 Thu>

  ,* TODO EXAMPLE2 dead first, 1 line
  DEADLINE: <2020-08-13 Thu> SCHEDULED: <2020-08-13 Thu>

  ,* TODO EXAMPLE3 sched first, 1 line
  SCHEDULED: <2020-08-13 Thu> DEADLINE: <2020-08-13 Thu>

  ,* TODO EXAMPLE w/ props, 1 line
  SCHEDULED: <2020-08-13 Thu> DEADLINE: <2020-08-13 Thu>
  :PROPERTIES:
  :WUBBA:    DUB DUB
  :END:
#+end_src

My sample agenda:

#+begin_example
  Week-agenda (W33):
  Monday     10 August 2020 W33
  Tuesday    11 August 2020
  Wednesday  12 August 2020
  Thursday   13 August 2020
    test:       Scheduled:  TODO EXAMPLE sched first
    test:       Scheduled:  TODO EXAMPLE2 dead first, 1 line
    test:       Scheduled:  TODO EXAMPLE3 sched first, 1 line
    test:       Scheduled:  TODO EXAMPLE w/ props, 1 line
    test:       Deadline:   TODO EXAMPLE1 dead first
    test:       Deadline:   TODO EXAMPLE2 dead first, 1 line
    test:       Deadline:   TODO EXAMPLE3 sched first, 1 line
    test:       Deadline:   TODO EXAMPLE w/ props, 1 line
    test:       TODO EXAMPLE sched first
    test:       TODO EXAMPLE1 dead first
  Friday     14 August 2020
  Saturday   15 August 2020
  Sunday     16 August 2020
#+end_example

@ 2020-08-14  1:19     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-08-14  1:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Dinnyés Dániel; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Russell Adams writes:

> On Thu, Aug 13, 2020 at 06:13:09PM +0100, Dinnyés Dániel wrote:
>> Any response regarding this? Was this registered? If so, Is there a link to
>> track the bug status?
>
> Dinnyés,
>
> There is only the mailing list, there is no web based bug
> tracker. These reports get attention as time permits. Developers
> typically respond on the thread as that occurs. I'm just a helpful
> guy. ;]

In this case, though, it doesn't look like the message hit the list (or
it is very delayed at least).  Based on the In-Reply-To chain, the
original message was

    CAFfHKJ59KSyiS5UVRVEJ4KJEm5CSH2zZsdcj2s7K=HrwzCmMiQ@mail.gmail.com

I don't have that message locally, and it doesn't show up at
<https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/> or
<https://orgmode.org/list/>.

@ 2020-08-14  9:29     ` Dinnyés Dániel
From: Dinnyés Dániel @ 2020-08-14  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)