I meant to send this reply to the list as well: Hi Ken, I originally wrote the ox-synctex code. I find that the code in your example works for me only after re-evaluating the two functions that ox-synctex advises (org-export-as and org-latex-compile). This must be some oddity of how advice interacts with org’s code (probably having something to do with byte compilation/autoloading). But I’ve never been able to isolate a simple test case. I don’t use ox-synctex on a daily basis myself: it’s too fiddly, as you’ve seen. -- Aaron Ecay