* Thanks
@ 2007-09-18  8:15 Carsten Dominik
                   ` (2 more replies)
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-18  8:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode list

Hi,

I would like to use this message thank all of your for your
contributions to Org-mode.  Without you all, Org-mode would
not nearly be what it is today.  In particular thanks to:

- The early adopters:
   Some of you download the newest version whenever one is released
   and put it to use immediately.  On countless occasions this has
   allowed me to remove some stupid bugs from a release before the
   bulk of the users even read the release message.

- The tutorial writers:
   While Org-mode tries to make entering its world as easy as
   possible with as little clutter as possible, it still has become
   a large package with an huge number of features - easily confusing
   and daunting to new users.  I think the impact of writing up your
   own personal setup and way of using it for a particular task can
   not be overrated.

- The mailing-list answerers:
   I see more and more that some of you jump in to answer questions
   instead of only asking or commenting on the mailing list.  This
   ist fantastic, and takes away a lot of pressure from me.

- The coders:
   Some of you have written additions to Org-mode, in particular Bastien,
   David and Piotr.  I really get a kick out of this.

- The idea-producers:
   I cannot imagine how much cool stuff would be missing from org-mode
   had it not been for the constant stream of ideas that is flowing past
   me every day.

- The rest:
   All of you for hanging around here and making this a fun place.

Thanks!

- Carsten

* Re: Thanks
@ 2007-09-18  9:43 ` Leo
From: Leo @ 2007-09-18  9:43 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On 2007-09-18 09:15 +0100, Carsten Dominik wrote:
> Thanks!
>
> - Carsten

And thank you, Carsten, for making org!

--
.:  Leo  :.  [ sdl.web AT gmail.com ]  .:  [ GPG Key: 9283AA3F ]  :.

                                                 I use GNU Emacs  <=
                              http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/  <=

* Re: Thanks
@ 2007-09-19  0:17 ` David O'Toole
From: David O'Toole @ 2007-09-19  0:17 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik; +Cc: org-mode list

Hello everyone; sorry I have not been posting so much lately. But this
is a good opportunity to send out a shout to my fellow orgmoders.

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> Hi,
>
> I would like to use this message thank all of your for your
> contributions to Org-mode.  Without you all, Org-mode would
> not nearly be what it is today.  In particular thanks to:

I would like to thank Carsten for Org-mode, and also I should thank
all the other people he is thanking now (including myself!?) :-)

> - The tutorial writers:
>   While Org-mode tries to make entering its world as easy as
>   possible with as little clutter as possible, it still has become
>   a large package with an huge number of features - easily confusing
>   and daunting to new users.  I think the impact of writing up your
>   own personal setup and way of using it for a particular task can
>   not be overrated.

I'm planning a second, bigger org-tutorial that presents a particular
TODO system. It will basically feel like the system I used in my last
job---which demanded all the organizational skills I could possibly
muster every day for almost two straight years---plus some newer
things I've learned from reading about GTD and other methods.

In particular I would like to try recording an audio/video
screencast. I have seen some impressive ones on Emacswiki.

But first I have to finish the other (still Emacs-related) tutorial
I'm writing:

http://dto.freeshell.org/e/cl-guide.html

> - The coders:
>   Some of you have written additions to Org-mode, in particular Bastien,
>   David and Piotr.  I really get a kick out of this.

I'm also planning to integrate org support into my new (beta) Emacs
Lisp project ( http://dto.freeshell.org/notebook/Eon.html ). I will
definitely ask Carsten to help me interface them, as we did for
org-publish.el.

As for org-publish, the new LaTeX support is nice. I'm not sure what
is coming next for org-publish.el, perhaps people can suggest ideas. I
can think of at least one: I want both the ability to export to LaTeX
(and then to PDFs with hyperlinks) AND to make a PDF whose styles come
directly from your CSS. At one point I was working with an HTML->PDF
exporter that had great-looking output; unfortunately it is
implemented as a PHP CGI, so you need to have Apache running even to
use it. I never could get it working properly with org, but perhaps
there are other programs out there now.

--
David O'Toole
dto@gnu.org

@ 2007-09-19  1:53   ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-19  1:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

David O'Toole <dto@gnu.org> writes:

> As for org-publish, the new LaTeX support is nice.

Thanks!

> I'm not sure what is coming next for org-publish.el, perhaps people
> can suggest ideas.

What about a new ":extension" property for project?

For example, we could use this to publish "HTML" pages as .php files,
given that PHP code can be inserted between #+BEGIN_HTML and #+END_HTML

And maybe an Org option for this (no going through the org-publish
interface) would also be useful: org-export-html-extension

> I can think of at least one: I want both the ability to export to
> LaTeX (and then to PDFs with hyperlinks) AND to make a PDF whose
> styles come directly from your CSS.

Good idea to let the LaTeX export trigger PDF conversion. I guess the
conversion functions would likely to be set in a `:finition-function'
(symmetric to the :preparation-function) or within a new hook for Org,
`org-export-latex-hook' (like the `org-export-html-hook' would process
HTML outputs).

For the PDF to look like the HTML+CSS page... I'm not convinced. Not
only it would be tricky to achieve, but I'm not sure it's desirable.

> At one point I was working with an HTML->PDF exporter that had
> great-looking output; unfortunately it is implemented as a PHP CGI, so
> you need to have Apache running even to use it. I never could get it
> working properly with org, but perhaps there are other programs out
> there now.

I guess such an exporter doesn't translate the HTML content into LaTeX
before exporting it to PDF, it relies on graphical libraries. Having a
LaTeX layer inbetween makes the task even more complicated.

Two minor issues about org-publish.el:

1. org-publish-org-to-html is defined twice.  You can get rid of the
   first instance.

2. The documentation about "Tweaking HTML export" (section 13.1) should
   say "Tweaking HTML and LaTeX export" :)

That's all for today!

--
Bastien

* Re: Thanks
@ 2007-09-19  2:02 ` Russell Adams
From: Russell Adams @ 2007-09-19  2:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> - The rest:
>   All of you for hanging around here and making this a fun place.
>
> Thanks!
>
> - Carsten

Carsten,

Your work has been fantastic. I rave about Org-mode to most
everyone. It's been years since I came across my last piece of
"killer" software, that really changes the way I work.

In the past year, I've used Org-mode to manage every one of my
professional projects, and even my customers have been impressed with Org.

Thank you for the fast implementation of properties, and the
continuing tty support (who runs emacs in a window anyway?).

Do you have a CD wishlist or something? I'd be glad to send you the
new KMFDM. ;]

I do also appreciate the active community, but I don't think I can
send everyone CD's. ;]

Thanks again, and keep up the awesome work.

* Re: Thanks
@ 2007-09-20  8:45     ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-20  8:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On Sep 19, 2007, at 3:53, Bastien wrote:
> What about a new ":extension" property for project?

It will be :html-extension

> For example, we could use this to publish "HTML" pages as .php files,
> given that PHP code can be inserted between #+BEGIN_HTML and #+END_HTML
>
> And maybe an Org option for this (no going through the org-publish
> interface) would also be useful: org-export-html-extension

Done, thanks.

- Carsten

--
Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam

* Re: Thanks
@ 2007-09-20 13:15       ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2007-09-20 13:15 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Carsten Dominik <dominik@science.uva.nl> writes:

> On Sep 19, 2007, at 3:53, Bastien wrote:
>> What about a new ":extension" property for project?
>
> It will be :html-extension

Fantastic! I've long waited for this.

--
Bastien

* Re: Thanks
@ 2007-09-22  6:30   ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2007-09-22  6:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Russell Adams; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Russel,

I am glad to hear how very much you like Org-mode.  And I have been
pondering how to respond to your message about a CD.  But then, why
not, if this is really what you want to do.  Don't know about KMFDM.
But "You must believe in spring" from Bill Evans is high on my list.

- Carsten

On Sep 19, 2007, at 4:02, Russell Adams wrote:

>> - The rest:
>>   All of you for hanging around here and making this a fun place.
>>
>> Thanks!
>>
>> - Carsten
>
> Carsten,
>
> Your work has been fantastic. I rave about Org-mode to most
> everyone. It's been years since I came across my last piece of
> "killer" software, that really changes the way I work.
>
> In the past year, I've used Org-mode to manage every one of my
> professional projects, and even my customers have been impressed with
> Org.
>
> Thank you for the fast implementation of properties, and the
> continuing tty support (who runs emacs in a window anyway?).
>
> Do you have a CD wishlist or something? I'd be glad to send you the
> new KMFDM. ;]
>
> I do also appreciate the active community, but I don't think I can
> send everyone CD's. ;]
>
> Thanks again, and keep up the awesome work.

> Russell Adams                            RLAdams@AdamsInfoServ.com
>
> PGP Key ID:     0x1160DCB3           http://www.adamsinfoserv.com/
>
> Fingerprint:    1723 D8CA 4280 1EC9 557F  66E8 1154 E018 1160 DCB3

Carsten Dominik
Universiteit van Amsterdam
Kruislaan 403
NL-1098SJ Amsterdam
phone: +31 20 525 7477

* thanks
@ 2011-08-16 17:11 Patrick O'Neill
From: Patrick O'Neill @ 2011-08-16 17:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I just wanted to give a quick word of thanks to Bernt Hansen and everyone
else answering questions on the emacs-orgmode list.  Since the mailing list
is publicly archived, answered questions can remain useful to others long
after the original respondents have probably forgotten about them.  This
answer (
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2008-08/msg00057.html) from
2008 was very useful to me and no doubt to others as well.

Cheers,
Patrick.

* Re: thanks
@ 2011-08-17 18:37 ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-08-17 18:37 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick O'Neill, Bernt Hansen; +Cc: nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode

Patrick O'Neill <pon2@umbc.edu> wrote:

> I just wanted to give a quick word of thanks to Bernt Hansen and
> everyone else answering questions on the emacs-orgmode list.  Since
> the mailing list is publicly archived, answered questions can remain
> useful to others long after the original respondents have probably
> forgotten about them.  This answer
> (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2008-08/msg00057.html)
> from 2008 was very useful to me and no doubt to others as well.

Amen to that! But also thanks for pointing out those solutions - I
either missed them the first time around or I forgot about them -
probably the latter, but I cannot remember :-) : I took a look, was
entirely mystified, tried them out, and I think I understand the last
two (after spending some time with the formula debugger - and there
might be some documentation lacunae that need to be filled there), but
the first solution gives me errors and I have no idea what it is trying
to do or how it goes about it: Bernt (or somebody else - I'm not picky),
can you please provide an explanation? Does it still work? If so, how?

Thanks,
Nick

For reference: (See the link provided by Patrick for details on the others:
http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2008-08/msg00055.html)

The problem (raised by Daniel Sinder) is to automatically
number the rows of a table and Bernt's first solution goes like this
(this is my attempt to replicate it, hence the errors - in the post,
the row numbers are correct):

* one

  | Row    | Data Column 1  | Data Column 2       |
  |--------+----------------+---------------------|
  | #ERROR | some data      | more data           |
  | #ERROR | some more data | even more data      |
  |--------+----------------+---------------------|
  | #ERROR | and more       | that's all          |
  | #ERROR | still more     | yup, you guessed it |
  |--------+----------------+---------------------|
#+TBLFM: $1=find(@address@hidden,$2)

?!?!

* Re: thanks
@ 2011-08-17 18:55   ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-08-17 18:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Bernt Hansen, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Patrick O'Neill

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> Patrick O'Neill <pon2@umbc.edu> wrote:
>
> > I just wanted to give a quick word of thanks to Bernt Hansen and
> > everyone else answering questions on the emacs-orgmode list.=C2=A0 Since
> > the mailing list is publicly archived, answered questions can remain
> > useful to others long after the original respondents have probably
> > forgotten about them.=C2=A0 This answer
> > (http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2008-08/msg00057.html)
> > from 2008 was very useful to me and no doubt to others as well.
> >=20
>
> Amen to that! But also thanks for pointing out those solutions - I
> either missed them the first time around or I forgot about them -
> probably the latter, but I cannot remember :-) : I took a look, was
> entirely mystified, tried them out, and I think I understand the last
> two (after spending some time with the formula debugger - and there
> might be some documentation lacunae that need to be filled there), but
> the first solution gives me errors and I have no idea what it is trying
> to do or how it goes about it: Bernt (or somebody else - I'm not picky),
> can you please provide an explanation? Does it still work? If so, how?
>
> Thanks,
> Nick
>
> For reference: (See the link provided by Patrick for details on the others:
> http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/emacs-orgmode/2008-08/msg00055.html)
>
> The problem (raised by Daniel Sinder) is to automatically
> number the rows of a table and Bernt's first solution goes like this
> (this is my attempt to replicate it, hence the errors - in the post,
> the row numbers are correct):
>

> * one
>
>   | Row    | Data Column 1  | Data Column 2       |
>   |--------+----------------+---------------------|
>   | #ERROR | some data      | more data           |
>   | #ERROR | some more data | even more data      |
>   |--------+----------------+---------------------|
>   | #ERROR | and more       | that's all          |
>   | #ERROR | still more     | yup, you guessed it |
>   |--------+----------------+---------------------|
> #+TBLFM: $1=3Dfind(@address@hidden,$2)

Address rewriting by the list/archive manager: the original formula was

#+TBLFM: $1=find(@I$2..@III$2,$2)

Never mind ;-)
Nick

PS. But corruptions like this are a problem if we want to use the
list archives as repositories of knowledge.

* Re: thanks
@ 2011-08-17 18:59     ` Nick Dokos
From: Nick Dokos @ 2011-08-17 18:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  Cc: Bernt Hansen, nicholas.dokos, emacs-orgmode, Patrick O'Neill

Nick Dokos <nicholas.dokos@hp.com> wrote:

> > #+TBLFM: $1=3Dfind(@address@hidden,$2)
> >

> Address rewriting by the list/archive manager: the original formula was
>
> #+TBLFM: $1=find(@I$2..@III$2,$2)
>
> Never mind ;-)
> Nick
>
> PS. But corruptions like this are a problem if we want to use the
> list archives as repositories of knowledge.

OTOH, gmane got it right:

      http://thread.gmane.org/gmane.emacs.orgmode/7694/focus=7695

Hooray for gmane!

* Re: thanks
@ 2011-08-17 22:27 ` Bernt Hansen
From: Bernt Hansen @ 2011-08-17 22:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Patrick O'Neill; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

"Patrick O'Neill" <pon2@umbc.edu> writes:

> I just wanted to give a quick word of thanks to Bernt Hansen and
> everyone else answering questions on the emacs-orgmode list.

You're most welcome :).  I've completely forgotten all about this
(ancient) post.

Regards,
Bernt

* thanks