Well on my mac Emacs is launched by Ruby. I remember having to allow ruby to do that two years ago when I set this up. But thanks for sharing your expertise. I've been a unixy admin for 20 years and didn't know a lot of that. Cheers Steven. On Tue, 16 Mar 2021 at 07:34, Tim Cross wrote: > > George Mauer writes: > > > Thanks a lot! The interactive/non-interactive was indeed the core issue. > Extra frustrating because it seems like supplying `--rcfile` does nothing > if you > > *do* use `-c` but *don't* use `-i`...ah ad-hoc cli design. > > > > It certainly can seem rather ad hoc. However, it actually makes sense on > some levels. If you use -c your telling the shell to execute a command > and then exit. By definition, this is non-interactive. This is covered > in the manual. > > Where it becomes confusing is when your mixing in different options as > some override others. So, provided you include -i with -c, it will be > forced into interactive i.e. -i overrides the non-interactive status > added with -c. If you add -s, telling the shell to read input from > stdin, you also override non-interactive status. > > The other possible solution to your situation is to ensure > Emacs runs inside an environment which has all your exported variables > i.e. inside your login shell environment. There are a few ways to do > this, but probably the easiest is to create a script which opens a login > shell, then calls Emacs (may need to use open - not sure) and Emacs will > inherit your environment. Advantage is that processes you then spawn > from within Emacs will also inherit that environment. You then add this > script as the executable in the dock rather than calling Emacs directly. > > One thing to watch out for is that if your also using oh-my-zsh, it > setups up some aliases with the name emacs which actually call > emacsclient. This can be confusing as it means running just 'emacs' in > the shell will run the alias and not actually run Emacs directly. Things > can be even more confusing as there are also multiple ways to install > Emacs on the mac and they are all slightly different with respect to how > they setup things. > > What I find hardest with writing shell stuff is that I simply don't seem > to do it much anymore. My brain cache is just too small and when I find > it necessary to write a shell script again, all that knowledge has been > flushed! Once upon a time, many moons ago, I could write shell scripts > that used sed, awk, cut, uniq etc without even needing to look at the > man pages. These days, I have to check the bash man page just to > remember what the expr operators are! > > -- > Tim Cross > >