From: Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com>
Subject: ob-haskell
Date: Sat, 2 Jan 2021 15:44:11 -0600	[thread overview]

I recently wimped out of trying to update ob-haskell as an official
maintainer, but I'd eventually like to get back to it -- *after *I get some
base understanding of what Haskell is (Zeno's paradox-land?) and how the
ghci works. Basically, the ghci is what it is -- tautological, but true.
And that means when ob-haskell does nothing but dump the contents of a
babel code block into ghci, it's no better than if the user had typed in
into the REPL line-by-line. A quick run-down:

:set +m supposedly alerts ghci that a multi-line expression is coming, will
come; but typically, it doesn't infer this very well.

Enclosing code in :{ ... :} is fairly good -- again you can type this in at
the REPL prompt and see how it works -- however, there are gotchas.

a plain block:

#+begin_src haskell
...code...
#+end_src

is okay when you only have a one-liner to evaluate. But again, ob-haskell
seems to do nothing but take the block contents and dump it to the ghci
REPL as though the user had typed it in line-by-line, Enter, Enter...

What would be nice is if a C-c C-c inside a block could somehow act as
though the ghci were being sent a regular  *.hs buffer in haskell-mode --
and that, of course, cumulatively. C-' creates a decent haskell-mode
environment, BTW, so some form of a babel block to haskell-mode connection
does exist....

So am I on the right track? It's obvious at this point raw dumps into the
REPL aren't optimal, i.e., are fraught. What is, e.g., geiser&Scheme doing
that ob-haskell isn't?

LB

PS: Eventually, I'll try to glean some hints from the Jupyter Haskell
<https://github.com/gibiansky/IHaskell> effort.

PPS: GHCI User's Guide
<https://downloads.haskell.org/~ghc/latest/docs/html/users_guide/ghci.html>
doesn't
really tell me anything other than yes, ob-haskell is raw-dumping into an
environment that isn't designed to play nice with babel.