* Can't turn off hide-stars
@ 2020-03-27  5:40 Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2020-03-27  5:40 UTC (permalink / raw)

I have searched high and low through my init/config and I can't find where
orgmode is suppressing the display of leading asterisks of headings. I've
got org-hide-leading-stars set to nil -- but it turns itself back on
whenever I open an org file. I can start a clean, blank org file (no
#+STARTUP hidestars/showstars) and create a few headings -- to see, once
again, the leading stars suppressed. My org-bullets is commented out in
init-land. I try an emacs -Q and of course I have leading stars on
sub-headings, however deep. Yes, it's something in my init/config, but I
just can't find what's suppressing leading stars.

The whole reason I'm trying to do this is I'm tinkering with babel SML and
whenever I have a code block under a heading -- depending on the depth of
the heading -- the SML code block can be mis-justified. And if I
promote/demote the heading around with M-<right/left arrow> the SML code
alignment dances around depending on the depth. I can do C-c ' and the
alignment is perfect; but come back the org file and it's wonky. So if I
set up an SML babel environment in an emacs -Q environment -- with leading
starts -- no problem.

This is maddening, to say the least. I need to turn off suppression or
figure out why suppressed stars and babel SML blocks don't mix.

LB

* Re: Can't turn off hide-stars
@ 2020-03-27 17:18 ` Ag Ibragimov
       [not found]   ` <CAFAhFSVWxNdahu8i6=e1R_RVUq5Z-uHV75Z0dMNfQuMTJS8eEg@mail.gmail.com>
From: Ag Ibragimov @ 2020-03-27 17:18 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Have you tried tweaking org-hide face? Maybe the problem is with the font you use, is it monospaced?

On Thu 26 Mar 2020 at 22:40, Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> wrote:

> I have searched high and low through my init/config and I can't find where
> orgmode is suppressing the display of leading asterisks of headings. I've
> got org-hide-leading-stars set to nil -- but it turns itself back on
> whenever I open an org file. I can start a clean, blank org file (no
> #+STARTUP hidestars/showstars) and create a few headings -- to see, once
> again, the leading stars suppressed. My org-bullets is commented out in
> init-land. I try an emacs -Q and of course I have leading stars on
> sub-headings, however deep. Yes, it's something in my init/config, but I
> just can't find what's suppressing leading stars.
>
> The whole reason I'm trying to do this is I'm tinkering with babel SML and
> whenever I have a code block under a heading -- depending on the depth of
> the heading -- the SML code block can be mis-justified. And if I
> promote/demote the heading around with M-<right/left arrow> the SML code
> alignment dances around depending on the depth. I can do C-c ' and the
> alignment is perfect; but come back the org file and it's wonky. So if I
> set up an SML babel environment in an emacs -Q environment -- with leading
> starts -- no problem.
>
> This is maddening, to say the least. I need to turn off suppression or
> figure out why suppressed stars and babel SML blocks don't mix.
>
> LB

* Re: Can't turn off hide-stars
       [not found]     ` <m18sjlefsf.fsf@gmail.com>
@ 2020-03-27 20:26       ` Lawrence Bottorff
From: Lawrence Bottorff @ 2020-03-27 20:26 UTC (permalink / raw)

Changing my theme didn't help. The foreground-color of hide-face is set to
the background color of my theme. What I suspect the problem is is the
spaces and tabs used by sml-mode for indentations. I don't think other
languages use a mix of spaces and tabs. They use just spaces. Is there a
way to convert every tab to its size in spaces?

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 2:52 PM Ag Ibragimov <agzam.ibragimov@gmail.com>
wrote:

> > As far as "org-hide face", I'm not sure what you mean.
>
> You've said:
>
> > I can't find where orgmode is suppressing the display of leading
> asterisks of headings.
>
> The asterisks being displayed/hidden is controlled by 'org-hide' face. Run
> "M-x describe-face org-hide RET" and see what the foreground of that face
> is set to. Alternatively, you can try switching to another theme and see if
> that makes any difference.
>
> On Fri 27 Mar 2020 at 12:30, Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I did have a monospace font, but changing to a vari-spaced one didn't
> help.
> > I can promote/demote the heading above the code block and the alignment
> of
> > the code shifts along with it, specifically this sort of block with a let
> >
> > #+begin_src sml
> > fun countUpFrom1 (x : int) =
> >     let
> > fun count (from : int, to : int) =
> >    if from = to
> >    then to :: []
> >    else from :: count (from+1, to)
> >     in
> > count (1, x)
> >     end
> > #+end_src
> >
> > Note, this is copied into my gmail from below a heading 4 -- which in the
> > sml code block looks good. However, as I pasted this into gmail, the
> spaces
> > and tabs are behaving differently, e.g., the let is exactly 4 spaces
> over,
> > while the second nested fun is just a single tab over, which gmail isn't
> > honoring. This
> > is the same behavior I'm seeing at, e.g., a level 3 heading.
> >
> > Again, when this file is brought up in a clean emacs -Q where only SML
> > mode/ob is set up and stars are all showing there is no (spaces v. tabs)
> > shifting around trouble. If I could definitively turn off star hiding I
> > could get around this shifting problem. But why this is happening is very
> > mysterious. As far as "org-hide face", I'm not sure what you mean.
> >
> > On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 12:19 PM Ag Ibragimov <agzam.ibragimov@gmail.com
> >
> > wrote:
> >

> >> Have you tried tweaking org-hide face? Maybe the problem is with the
> font
> >> you use, is it monospaced?

> >> where
> I've