From: Lawrence Bottorff <borgauf@gmail.com>
To: "Fraga, Eric" <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Greek symbol rendering problem in gnuplot
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 2019 09:13:51 -0500	[thread overview]

Yes, Ubuntu 19.04. Latest-greatest everything else pertinent as well. Here
is are my subscriptions

(setq package-archives '(("ELPA"  . "http://tromey.com/elpa/")
("gnu"   . "http://elpa.gnu.org/packages/")
("melpa" . "https://melpa.org/packages/")
("org"   . "https://orgmode.org/elpa/")))

And so I discover these two when I do list-packages:

gnuplot <https://github.com/bruceravel/gnuplot-mode>
20141231.2137 available  melpa      drive gnuplot from within emacs

and then this:

 gnuplot-mode <https://github.com/mkmcc/gnuplot-mode>       20171013.1616
installed             Major mode for editing gnuplot scripts

the former I uninstalled, the latter, as you see, I installed, simply going
on the theory that a later something is more up to date. The babel
languages page lists this:

Gnuplot gnuplot ob-doc-gnuplot gnuplot, gnuplot-mode

which no doubt means gnuplot the actual program, then gnuplot-mode the
Emacs package. So I'm saying the second list-packages offering,
gnuplot-mode- 20171013.1616, is working only as a stand-alone mode and not
working with org-mode babel (It can't find gnuplot when an org gnuplot
block is run.), while the first one, just plain simple
gnuplot-20141231.2137 works in org-mode babel, but gives the long-ago
solved problem of greek symbol display garbling when run in babel code
blocks. (See the links to the github pages.) The confusion is which of the
Emacs packages to use -- both having problems. Both modes seem to know
where gnuplot is (my $PATH has /usr/bin/ and my gnuplot is
/usr/bin/gnuplot), again, they both work fine as stand-alones with gnuplot
code files, but, as I'm saying,  gnuplot-mode-20171013.1616 doesn't work
with org-mode.

Having glanced at the older gnuplot-20141231.2137 mode's code, it seems to
guess version 3.7 if it can't establish which version of gnuplot the user
is running. Odd since it does start up an Emacs gnuplot REPL session --
that readily identifies itself as 5.2.6. So I'm guessing
this gnuplot-mode-20171013.1616 is not the intended mode after all, rather,
gnuplot-20141231.2137. Since there have been more than one stackoverflow
efforts on this issue, I thought it worthy of org-mode's attention -- heavy
users of greek letters or no.