* Agenda view: ignoring everything that is DONE
@ 2011-10-10 13:14 Chris Wallace
From: Chris Wallace @ 2011-10-10 13:14 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

I want to include in my agenda only things that are TODO, or are
scheduled and not marked DONE, or have a deadline and are not marked
DONE.  This is how agenda worked a year ago before I went on maternity
leave, and now something has changed and I am seeing lots of DONE tasks
which had a deadline -780 days ago.

I have tried removing all org customisations relating to the agenda and
todo list, and have read the agenda part of the manual, but I can't get
this to work.

Can anyone help?

Thanks, Chris.

* Re: Agenda view: ignoring everything that is DONE
@ 2011-10-10 13:52 ` Jason Dunsmore
From: Jason Dunsmore @ 2011-10-10 13:52 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Wallace; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Chris Wallace <chris.wallace@cimr.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> I want to include in my agenda only things that are TODO, or are
> scheduled and not marked DONE, or have a deadline and are not marked
> DONE.  This is how agenda worked a year ago before I went on maternity
> leave, and now something has changed and I am seeing lots of DONE
> tasks which had a deadline -780 days ago.
>
> I have tried removing all org customisations relating to the agenda
> and todo list, and have read the agenda part of the manual, but I
> can't get this to work.

You can use:

(setq org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t)
(setq org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done t)
(setq org-agenda-skip-timestamp-if-done t)

This is in the FAQ:
http://orgmode.org/worg/org-faq.html#removing-done-items-from-agenda

Regards,
Jason

* Re: Agenda view: ignoring everything that is DONE
@ 2011-10-10 15:45   ` Chris Wallace
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Chris Wallace @ 2011-10-10 15:45 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Dunsmore; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

On 10/10/11 14:52, Jason Dunsmore wrote:
> Chris Wallace<chris.wallace@cimr.cam.ac.uk>  writes:
>
>> I want to include in my agenda only things that are TODO, or are
>> scheduled and not marked DONE, or have a deadline and are not marked
>> DONE.  This is how agenda worked a year ago before I went on maternity
>> leave, and now something has changed and I am seeing lots of DONE
>> tasks which had a deadline -780 days ago.
>>
>> I have tried removing all org customisations relating to the agenda
>> and todo list, and have read the agenda part of the manual, but I
>> can't get this to work.
>
> You can use:

> (setq org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t)
> (setq org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done t)
> (setq org-agenda-skip-timestamp-if-done t)

Jason,

thank you for the quick reply.  I do have those variables set.  I have
now commented one by one every line in my org setup and customisation
and found that the problem only occurs when customize includes the line:

'(org-todo-keywords (quote ((sequence "TODO" "DONE" "|" "CANCELLED"))))

This I set from within customize-variable, and appears to follow the
description given for that variable.  Perhaps it is clashing with
something else, I will keep searching, but if you know of anything else
that is possibly responsible I would be grateful.

Chris.

@ 2011-10-10 15:54     ` Jason Dunsmore
From: Jason Dunsmore @ 2011-10-10 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Wallace; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jason Dunsmore

Chris Wallace <chris.wallace@cimr.cam.ac.uk> writes:

> On 10/10/11 14:52, Jason Dunsmore wrote:
>> Chris Wallace<chris.wallace@cimr.cam.ac.uk>  writes:
>>
>>> I want to include in my agenda only things that are TODO, or are
>>> scheduled and not marked DONE, or have a deadline and are not marked
>>> DONE.  This is how agenda worked a year ago before I went on maternity
>>> leave, and now something has changed and I am seeing lots of DONE
>>> tasks which had a deadline -780 days ago.
>>>
>>> I have tried removing all org customisations relating to the agenda
>>> and todo list, and have read the agenda part of the manual, but I
>>> can't get this to work.
>>
>> You can use:

>> (setq org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t)
>> (setq org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done t)
>> (setq org-agenda-skip-timestamp-if-done t)
>
> Jason,
>
> thank you for the quick reply.  I do have those variables set.  I have
> now commented one by one every line in my org setup and customisation
> and found that the problem only occurs when customize includes the
> line:
>
> '(org-todo-keywords (quote ((sequence "TODO" "DONE" "|" "CANCELLED"))))

I think the vertical bar placement is your problem, from the manual:

"The vertical bar separates the TODO keywords (states that need action)
from the DONE states (which need no further action)."

Try this:

@ 2011-10-10 15:54     ` John Hendy
From: John Hendy @ 2011-10-10 15:54 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Chris Wallace; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jason Dunsmore

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 10:45 AM, Chris Wallace
<chris.wallace@cimr.cam.ac.uk> wrote:
> On 10/10/11 14:52, Jason Dunsmore wrote:
>>
>> Chris Wallace<chris.wallace@cimr.cam.ac.uk>  writes:
>>
>>> I want to include in my agenda only things that are TODO, or are
>>> scheduled and not marked DONE, or have a deadline and are not marked
>>> DONE.  This is how agenda worked a year ago before I went on maternity
>>> leave, and now something has changed and I am seeing lots of DONE
>>> tasks which had a deadline -780 days ago.
>>>
>>> I have tried removing all org customisations relating to the agenda
>>> and todo list, and have read the agenda part of the manual, but I
>>> can't get this to work.
>>
>> You can use:

>> (setq org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t)
>> (setq org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done t)
>> (setq org-agenda-skip-timestamp-if-done t)
>
> Jason,
>
> thank you for the quick reply.  I do have those variables set.  I have now
> commented one by one every line in my org setup and customisation and found
> that the problem only occurs when customize includes the line:
>
> '(org-todo-keywords (quote ((sequence "TODO" "DONE" "|" "CANCELLED"))))

I think you need "DONE" on the other side of the pipe for your desired
action to work properly.

,--- http://orgmode.org/manual/Workflow-states.html). ---
| The vertical bar separates the TODO keywords (states that need action)
| from the DONE states (which need no further action).
`---

John

@ 2011-10-10 15:57       ` Chris Wallace
From: Chris Wallace @ 2011-10-10 15:57 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jason Dunsmore; +Cc: emacs-orgmode, Jason Dunsmore

On 10/10/11 16:54, Jason Dunsmore wrote:
> Chris Wallace<chris.wallace@cimr.cam.ac.uk>  writes:

>>> You can use:
>>>
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------start------------->8---
>>> (setq org-agenda-skip-scheduled-if-done t)
>>> (setq org-agenda-skip-deadline-if-done t)
>>> (setq org-agenda-skip-timestamp-if-done t)
>>> --8<---------------cut here---------------end--------------->8---
>>
>> Jason,
>>
>> thank you for the quick reply.  I do have those variables set.  I have
>> now commented one by one every line in my org setup and customisation
>> and found that the problem only occurs when customize includes the
>> line:
>>
>> '(org-todo-keywords (quote ((sequence "TODO" "DONE" "|" "CANCELLED"))))
>
> I think the vertical bar placement is your problem, from the manual:
>
> "The vertical bar separates the TODO keywords (states that need action)
> from the DONE states (which need no further action)."
>
> Try this:
>
> '((sequence "TODO" "|" "DONE" "CANCELLED"))
>
> Regards,
> Jason

It works!  Thank you, and John who was almost as quick in his reply :)

@ 2011-10-10 15:58     ` Brian van den Broek
From: Brian van den Broek @ 2011-10-10 15:58 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode