From: Brian van den Broek <brian.van.den.broek@gmail.com>
To: Bastien <bzg@altern.org>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: feature suggestion: apply datetime prompt magic to selected region
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2011 18:56:56 +0200	[thread overview]

On 24 October 2011 08:00, Bastien <bzg@altern.org> wrote:
> Hi Brian,
>
> suvayu ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:
>
>> Ah I see it now, you want the org-timestamp command to work on a
>> region. Maybe you can write your own function with lisp if you are
>> doing this too often. Should be quite simple to try.
>
> Please check `org-loop-over-headlines-in-active-region' from latest
> git repo and see if using `org-schedule' in the region does what you
> want.  We can actually implement this for `org-timestamp' as well,
> if relevant.
>
> Thanks,
>
> --
>  Bastien

Hi Bastien,

Thanks for replying and giving this your attention.

Various people upthread convinced me that my feature request wasn't
really worth it. (I do hope it didn't cost you too much time!) So, I
am content to drop it here :-)

That said, it seems only right to respond and let you know how things
sit. Feel free to let it die.

Unless I misunderstood, that does not do what I had in mind.

With a fresh git pull I invoked emacs with
   emacs --no-site-file -l minimalorgtestdotemacs test.org
where minimalorgtestdotemacs reads:

(add-to-list 'auto-mode-alist '("\\.org\\'" . org-mode))
(global-set-key "\C-cl" 'org-store-link)
(global-set-key "\C-cc" 'org-capture)
(global-set-key "\C-ca" 'org-agenda)
(global-set-key "\C-cb" 'org-iswitchb)
(transient-mark-mode 1)
(setq org-loop-over-headlines-in-active-region t)

and test.org reads:

* test

  2003-01-26

Versions:
    Org-mode version 7.7 (release_7.7.464.g679a0)
    GNU Emacs 23.2.1 (i486-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 2.20.0) of
2010-12-11 on raven, modified by Debian

If I have point and mark on either end of 2003-01-26 and invoke M-x
org-schedule, nothing occurs. By analogy with my original request,
what was desired was for the region to automatically get fed to the
datetime prompt and thus for the test subtree to acquire the scheduled
date of 2003-01-26 without further intervention.

So, thanks again for the attention to the suggestion. I'm more than
happy to let it rest here.

Best,

Brian vdB