* Export a weekly calendar view from org-agenda
@ 2013-01-17 21:50 Torsten Wagner
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2013-01-17 21:50 UTC (permalink / raw)

I was wondering if it is possible to export an agenda in form of a weekly
calendar.
For the good old "offline" times, I would like to carry a printed version
of e.g., the last week, current week and the next week with me (e.g.
printed all on a double sided printed A5 page).
That would allow me to jot down changes and have a quick look on my
schedules at all time. Those changes, I would transfer back as soon as I
sit again in front of a PC.
I notice that I tend to forget to enter appointments just out of my head
esp. if things get busy.
The second benefit would be that I can file those weekly paper copies, in a
classic manner and hence keep a paper based backup version (which due to
the overlap even has a CVS like versioning mechanism ;)) just in case.
I started to use org-caldav and hence, I know about the possibility to
perform an export to caldav and using a calendar program with caldav
support to print such a calendar.
However, the groupware I am using does not allow pretty printing of the
web-based client and I hesitate to install another client (most are big
beasts like thunderbird+lightning, evolution, etc.) just for printing.
In addition I would like to keep the workflow more org-mode centric and not
caldav centric. Hence, a direct export from org-mode would be more welcome.

I somehow remember that there was a way to create a PDF file but I can't
find it anymore and I remember that the entries overlapped each other and
it wasn't that pretty.
Does someone here has a method or work-chain to export a org-agenda into
such a calendar view?
I'm happy with an external (console script, TeX, etc.) solution too.

Alternatively, I am happy to hear how others try to get paper and org
versions together.

Thanks

Torsten

* Re: Export a weekly calendar view from org-agenda
@ 2013-01-17 23:55 ` Kyle Machulis
From: Kyle Machulis @ 2013-01-17 23:55 UTC (permalink / raw)

Sure, you can just set a custom agenda view, like so:

              ("w" agenda "Week with events and no daily/chores"
               ((org-agenda-ndays-to-span 7)
                (org-agenda-ndays 7)
                (org-agenda-filter-preset '("-daily"))))

Then export that. I have a system similar to what you're mentioning,
except I use email at the moment. I have a cron job that emails me a
ascii daily/weekly agenda depending on what day of the week it is
(daily every day, weekly + daily on sunday). Since my mobile devices
usually cache off my email, that does the job of getting it offline
for me. Same idea could be used for paper though.

I should clean the code up for the export system I use, though since I
rely on el-get and a few packages, it's a rather me-specific
configuration. Will post if I get that done.

I'm actually planning on building a Freerange printer
(http://gofreerange.com/printer) that I'd like to be able to export
org stuff too. Assuming that project actually gets done, I'll post
about it here also. Wouldn't be surprised if someone set up a BERG
Littleprinter feed too. :)

On Thu, Jan 17, 2013 at 1:50 PM, Torsten Wagner
<torsten.wagner@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I was wondering if it is possible to export an agenda in form of a weekly
> calendar.
> For the good old "offline" times, I would like to carry a printed version of
> e.g., the last week, current week and the next week with me (e.g. printed
> all on a double sided printed A5 page).
> That would allow me to jot down changes and have a quick look on my
> schedules at all time. Those changes, I would transfer back as soon as I sit
> again in front of a PC.
> I notice that I tend to forget to enter appointments just out of my head
> esp. if things get busy.
> The second benefit would be that I can file those weekly paper copies, in a
> classic manner and hence keep a paper based backup version (which due to the
> overlap even has a CVS like versioning mechanism ;)) just in case.
> I started to use org-caldav and hence, I know about the possibility to
> perform an export to caldav and using a calendar program with caldav support
> to print such a calendar.
> However, the groupware I am using does not allow pretty printing of the
> web-based client and I hesitate to install another client (most are big
> beasts like thunderbird+lightning, evolution, etc.) just for printing.
> In addition I would like to keep the workflow more org-mode centric and not
> caldav centric. Hence, a direct export from org-mode would be more welcome.
>
> I somehow remember that there was a way to create a PDF file but I can't
> find it anymore and I remember that the entries overlapped each other and it
> wasn't that pretty.
> Does someone here has a method or work-chain to export a org-agenda into
> such a calendar view?
> I'm happy with an external (console script, TeX, etc.) solution too.
>
> Alternatively, I am happy to hear how others try to get paper and org
> versions together.
>

> Thanks
>
> Torsten

* Re: Export a weekly calendar view from org-agenda
@ 2013-01-18  0:14   ` Torsten Wagner
                       ` (2 more replies)
From: Torsten Wagner @ 2013-01-18  0:14 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hey Kyle,
thanks for the info I will look into it.
Maybe I should say more specific, I am looking for a typical calendar view
(sort of table) as you know them from paper-based organizers.
If I understood your solution, I would get a plain list of all events.

Thanks again

Torsten

@ 2013-01-18  0:39     ` Rasmus
From: Rasmus @ 2013-01-18  0:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

> Maybe I should say more specific, I am looking for a typical calendar view
> (sort of table) as you know them from paper-based organizers.
> If I understood your solution, I would get a plain list of all events.

Here's some options requiring little effort, but also somewhat
unsatisfactory:

1. export to ical and use some script to convert to pdf. This may of
   may not work for complex agenda
2. org2hpda in contrib and diary
3. import into Emacs calendar and use its export facilities.
   This may of may not work for complex agendas.

# run this makefile with
#
#  make -f org2hpda
#
# The makfile will take the entries from your diary file and generate
# two PDFs containing nicely printed weekly and monthly calendars. One
# is done in the style of a pocketMod (http://www.pocketmod.com/) and
# the other is done in the style of the Hipster PDA
# (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hipster_PDA).

--
And let me remind you also that moderation in the pursuit of justice
is no virtue

* Re: Export a weekly calendar view from org-agenda
@ 2013-01-18 10:40     ` Karl Voit
From: Karl Voit @ 2013-01-18 10:40 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

* Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hey Kyle,
> thanks for the info I will look into it.
> Maybe I should say more specific, I am looking for a typical calendar view
> (sort of table) as you know them from paper-based organizers.

Probably [1] might be of use for you. But I do not know, how easy it
is to bring it on paper. Please report.

  1. https://github.com/kiwanami/emacs-calfw
--
Karl Voit

* Re: Export a weekly calendar view from org-agenda
@ 2013-01-19 23:30     ` Eric Fraga
From: Eric Fraga @ 2013-01-19 23:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Torsten Wagner <torsten.wagner@gmail.com> writes:

> Hey Kyle, thanks for the info I will look into it.  Maybe I
> should say more specific, I am looking for a typical calendar
> view (sort of table) as you know them from paper-based
> organizers.  If I understood your solution, I would get a plain
> list of all events.

I used to use the built-in export of diaries in Emacs to print off
Filofax (tm) pages:

Info -> emacs -> Calendar/Diary -> Writing Calendar Files

How you get org to diary format is another question, however...

--
: Eric S Fraga, GnuPG: 0xC89193D8FFFCF67D
: in Emacs 24.3.50.1 and Org release_7.9.2-632-gd344fd