* org-cite: only last names and et al. for more than two coauthors
@ 2022-06-27  5:12 M. Pger
From: M. Pger @ 2022-06-27  5:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

I've recently tried to switch to org-cite, but I still have some problems with the basics.

Consider the following entry:

@article{akey2022,
title = {This is the title},
shorttitle = {This is the short title},
author = {Surname1, Name1 and Surname2, Name2 and Surname3, Name3},
year = {2022},
(truncated)}

I want to have something like: "as shown by Surname1 et al. (2022), ...", i.e. something one can get with natbib \citet command. With org-ref it worked like a charm.

I've tried the syntax presented in https://blog.tecosaur.com/tmio/2021-07-31-citations.html#more-exporting, that is:
[cite/t/c:@akey2022]
but I ended with a 'wrong type argument' error.

I then tried [cite/t:@akey2022]: exporting succeeds. However, I end up with "as shown by Surname1, Name1 and Surname2, Name2 and Surname3, Name3 (2022), ...".

How can I correctly specify the options mentioned above? Is there a complete and updated tutorial available somewhere?

Thanks in advance.

Best,

Max

* Re: org-cite: only last names and et al. for more than two coauthors
@ 2022-06-27 10:56 ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2022-06-27 10:56 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M. Pger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Mon, Jun 27, 2022 at 1:13 AM M. Pger <mpger@protonmail.com> wrote:

> I've recently tried to switch to org-cite, but I still have some problems with the basics.

First, org-cite is a framework for citations. When reporting issues
related to it, you really need to identify what processor(s) you are
seeing the behavior with.

> Consider the following entry:
>
> @article{akey2022,
>   title = {This is the title},
>   shorttitle = {This is the short title},
>   author = {Surname1, Name1 and Surname2, Name2 and Surname3, Name3},
>   year = {2022},
>   (truncated)
> }
>
> I want to have something like: "as shown by Surname1 et al. (2022), ...", i.e. something one can get with natbib \citet command. With org-ref it worked like a charm.
>
> I've tried the syntax presented in https://blog.tecosaur.com/tmio/2021-07-31-citations.html#more-exporting, that is:
> [cite/t/c:@akey2022]
> but I ended with a 'wrong type argument' error.
>
> I then tried [cite/t:@akey2022]: exporting succeeds. However, I end up with "as shown by Surname1, Name1 and Surname2, Name2 and Surname3, Name3 (2022), ...".
>
> How can I correctly specify the options mentioned above? Is there a complete and updated tutorial available somewhere?

[cite/t:@key] should work as you expect in natbib, biblatex, csl.

Possible issues, depending on which of those you're using:

- some error with the bib file; or a mismatch between the file and the
bibtex dialect or something
- the citation style

A complete MWE would help.

Bruce

* Re: org-cite: only last names and et al. for more than two coauthors
@ 2022-06-28 14:10   ` M. Pger
From: M. Pger @ 2022-06-28 14:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce D'Arcus; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

Hi, thx for your answer.
Sorry for my poor understanding of org-cite. I added
```
(require 'oc-natbib)
(setq org-cite-export-processors
      '((latex natbib)
	(t basic)))
```
to my init file and then it worked smoothly. I can even put
```
#+cite_export: natbib customstylefile.bst
```
in my org file to use an extraneous bibliography style file, which is pretty nice.

A last question though: is it possible to set the 'round' option without having to insert the latex header
```
#+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[round]{natbib}
```
?

Thanks a lot for your work with org-cite.

Best,

@ 2022-06-28 14:47     ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2022-06-28 14:47 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: M. Pger; +Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org

On Tue, Jun 28, 2022 at 10:10 AM M. Pger <mpger@protonmail.com> wrote:

> A last question though: is it possible to set the 'round' option without having to insert the latex header
> ```
> #+LATEX_HEADER: \usepackage[round]{natbib}
> ```
> ?

I haven't used it, but I believe the ~org-cite-natbib-options~
defcustom is what you need.

Bruce