* re-scanning bibliography for org-cite
@ 2021-10-21 14:11 Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-10-21 14:11 UTC (permalink / raw)

Dear all,

simple question: how can I get org-cite to rescan my bibliography (.bib)
file when it changes?  When I'm writing a paper, as I'm doing now, I add
entries to my bibliography as I write but org-cite is not aware of any
new entries.

I have gone through the code but cannot see where the bib entries are
actually read.  (my bad)

Thank you,
eric

--
: Eric S Fraga via Emacs 28.0.60, Org release_9.5-149-g781080
: Latest paper written in org: https://arxiv.org/abs/2106.05096

* Re: re-scanning bibliography for org-cite
@ 2021-10-21 14:51 ` Uwe Brauer
From: Uwe Brauer @ 2021-10-21 14:51 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

>>> "ESF" == Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> writes:

> Dear all,

> simple question: how can I get org-cite to rescan my bibliography
> (.bib) file when it changes? When I'm writing a paper, as I'm doing
> now, I add entries to my bibliography as I write but org-cite is not
> aware of any new entries.

> I have gone through the code but cannot see where the bib entries are
> actually read.  (my bad)

Do you use
org-ref-insert-cite-link

Or
org-ref-helm-insert-cite-link

I use the latter in that case, if I finish an entry and update the bib
file, then when I call the function again, it is updated, not sure about
org-ref-insert-cite-link

> Thank you,
> eric

[-- Attachment #2: smime.p7s --]

* Re: re-scanning bibliography for org-cite
@ 2021-10-21 15:02   ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2021-10-21 15:02 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Thursday, 21 Oct 2021 at 16:51, Uwe Brauer wrote:
> Do you use
> org-ref-insert-cite-link
> org-ref-helm-insert-cite-link

Neither.  I use org-cite-insert.

--

@ 2021-10-21 15:30 ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-10-21 15:30 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode List

On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 10:12 AM Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:

> Dear all,
>
> simple question: how can I get org-cite to rescan my bibliography (.bib)
> file when it changes?  When I'm writing a paper, as I'm doing now, I add
> entries to my bibliography as I write but org-cite is not aware of any
> new entries.

Do you mean for org-cite-insert?

Which insert processor?

If it's bibtex-actions, you have to configure the filenotify support
mentioned on the README.

I'm not sure how the oc-basic one handles this.

Bruce

* Re: re-scanning bibliography for org-cite
@ 2021-11-03 16:21   ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2021-11-03 16:21 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bruce D'Arcus; +Cc: Org Mode List

Hello,

"Bruce D'Arcus" <bdarcus@gmail.com> writes:

> On Thu, Oct 21, 2021 at 10:12 AM Eric S Fraga <e.fraga@ucl.ac.uk> wrote:
>>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> simple question: how can I get org-cite to rescan my bibliography (.bib)
>> file when it changes?  When I'm writing a paper, as I'm doing now, I add
>> entries to my bibliography as I write but org-cite is not aware of any
>> new entries.
>
> Do you mean for org-cite-insert?
>
> Which insert processor?
>
> If it's bibtex-actions, you have to configure the filenotify support
> mentioned on the README.
>
> I'm not sure how the oc-basic one handles this.

oc-basic relies on a cache. The cache key contains a hash of the
contents of the bib file. So whenever the bib file is modified, the
cache is invalidated, and oc-basic parses again the file.

IOW, rescanning happens automatically in oc-basic.

Regards,
--
Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: re-scanning bibliography for org-cite
@ 2021-11-03 16:34     ` Bruce D'Arcus
From: Bruce D'Arcus @ 2021-11-03 16:34 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: Org Mode List

On Wed, Nov 3, 2021 at 12:21 PM Nicolas Goaziou <mail@nicolasgoaziou.fr> wrote:

> oc-basic relies on a cache. The cache key contains a hash of the
> contents of the bib file. So whenever the bib file is modified, the
> cache is invalidated, and oc-basic parses again the file.

Of course; clever!

Bruce