* Yet another question about email and org-mode
@ 2013-10-02 17:38 Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2013-10-02 17:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode

I am happy to use native emacs mail, for sending email.  What I want to be
able to do is keep a copy of my email in an org-mode file.  This file could
be in datebook format, or just a  list, especially if I can tag each email
using org-mode tags.

The solutions I have seen for using org-mode for email seem convoluted,
complicated. I don't need any complicated html mail, just to start up a
mail buffer from org-mode---say, from a todo item, write the email, and
automatically leave a copy of the email behind when I am done.  Perhaps a
capture method would be useful, referring to bbdb for a lookup, although
that's another layer of complexity.

The beauty of org-mode is simplicity: simple text files.

Am I missing something?

Alan

* Re: Yet another question about email and org-mode
@ 2013-10-02 18:24 ` Josiah Schwab
From: Josiah Schwab @ 2013-10-02 18:24 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Alan E. Davis; +Cc: org-mode

Hi Alan,

> I am happy to use native emacs mail, for sending email.  What I want to be
> able to do is keep a copy of my email in an org-mode file.

Taking a step back, is there a reason that you want to keep a copy of
the email contents in the org file, as opposed to including a link to
the email message?

Best,
Josiah

* Re: Yet another question about email and org-mode
@ 2013-10-02 21:10   ` Suvayu Ali
From: Suvayu Ali @ 2013-10-02 21:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 11:24:18AM -0700, Josiah Schwab wrote:
> Hi Alan,
>
> > I am happy to use native emacs mail, for sending email.  What I want to be
> > able to do is keep a copy of my email in an org-mode file.
>
> Taking a step back, is there a reason that you want to keep a copy of
> the email contents in the org file, as opposed to including a link to
> the email message?

I would ask the same question.  Specially when Org supports so many URI
schemes for emails: gnus, mhe, rmail, notmuch, vm, vm-imap, wl.  Even
simple file links to maildirs would work too.  If you like the Gmail web
interface, linking to that is also possible!

--
Suvayu

* Re: Yet another question about email and org-mode
@ 2013-10-03 16:05     ` Eric S Fraga
From: Eric S Fraga @ 2013-10-03 16:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Suvayu Ali; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Suvayu Ali <fatkasuvayu+linux@gmail.com> writes:

> On Wed, Oct 02, 2013 at 11:24:18AM -0700, Josiah Schwab wrote:
>> Hi Alan,
>>

>> > I am happy to use native emacs mail, for sending email.  What I want to be
>> > able to do is keep a copy of my email in an org-mode file.
>>
>> Taking a step back, is there a reason that you want to keep a copy of
>> the email contents in the org file, as opposed to including a link to
>> the email message?
>
> I would ask the same question.  Specially when Org supports so many URI
> schemes for emails: gnus, mhe, rmail, notmuch, vm, vm-imap, wl.  Even
> simple file links to maildirs would work too.  If you like the Gmail web
> interface, linking to that is also possible!

or, to turn it around completely, what about defining an org backend
for gnus, i.e. nnorg, which stores emails using org format, modelled
along the nnmbox backend [[info:(gnus) Unix Mail Box]]?  You could then
use the GCC gnus header.

only partly in jest... ;-)

--
: Eric S Fraga (0xFFFCF67D), Emacs 24.3.50.1, Org release_8.1.1-7-gaecdf5

* Re: Yet another question about email and org-mode
@ 2013-11-05 18:48       ` Alan E. Davis
From: Alan E. Davis @ 2013-11-05 18:48 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: org-mode