This may be a bug? I have this template in my list of templates, to open the file with my templates, so I could edit it: ("i" "Edit ~/org/capture-templates.2.el" plain (file "~/org/capture-templates.2.el") "" :empty-lines 1 :unnarrowed t) I started to get an error when running this template, and a few others. This started somewhat recently, but I don't know exactly when. When I removed the ":empty-lines 1" part, the template worked fine. ("i" "Edit ~/org/capture-templates.2.el" plain (file "~/org/capture-templates.2.el") " " :unnarrowed t) I am pretty sure that this is not only from the "empty-lines 1 part. Another template with this option does work ok, but has ":prepend t". Alan Davis