Perhaps I'll try it, just for fun. I'm pretty happy with my layout and theme, everything, but maybe I could get some ideas. Thank you, Alan On Mon, Nov 29, 2021 at 7:39 AM Thomas S. Dye wrote: > Aloha Alan, > > Alan E. Davis writes: > > > > It is interesting that an old timer like yourself would reach > > for > > Spacemacs. I haven't, mostly because I don't think I need the > > modal model > > of Vi. The keybindings of Emacs or so convenient and > > intelligent I find > > them to be enough. Here's where I might have spent more time in > > the early > > days learning the basics better. One of the things I like about > > Emacs is > > that I can dance around a page of text, in a manner that the > > commercially > > produced text editors and word processors I know have not dared > > to > > implement. We are locked in to a dumbed down interface in all > > the software > > we encounter. I cannot think of one example just now, but maybe > > the way > > one can move back and forth over characters and words. I never > > learned Vi, > > except to be able to edit a simple config file if need be. > > > > I know I am over my head, and I have been so for the 30-ish > > years I have > > been using Emacs and for the time I have used Org-mode. It is > > more than I > > can do to keep up with the newer complexities that are cropping > > up. Yet, > > just like the plain text files, and the LaTeX source for my one > > publication, a lexicon of animal names, they live on while > > documents using > > the high priced tools are not longer readable or editable. And > > through all > > the changes, my little utilities for editing things that only I > > could > > probably care about, and I would not expect anyone to care to > > learn---they > > still work today. I love it! > > > FYI, from another old-timer in over his head, Spacemacs has a simple > option to enable Emacs key bindings. You don't need to use the modal > bindings. > > hth, > Tom > > -- > Thomas S. Dye > https://tsdye.online/tsdye > > -- "As we enjoy great advantages from the inventions of others, we *should be glad of an opportunity to serve others* by any invention of ours, and this we should do freely and generously." ---Benjamin Franklin "This ignorance about the limits of the earth's ability to absorb pollutants should be reason enough for caution in the release of polluting substances." ---Meadows et al. 1972. Limits to Growth . (p. 81)