To be brief, the tutorials and other parts of the worg webpages could do with some updating. Org-mode has been through a good amount of evolution. One isolated example is the "remember" tutorials. These could, at the least, be marked with a paragraph inset at the top of the file: a statement that this feature has been supplanted by the "Capture" feature, but that the tutorial is still useful for basic usage ideas. IMHO Alan On Tue, Oct 1, 2013 at 6:10 PM, M wrote: > Hi Carsten & all, > > thanks for this good idea and the resulting discussion here! > > my 2 cents about the tutorials page: > yes, I agree, that especially for absolute beginners (new to Emacs and new > to org-mode) it would be helpful to have a very basic step by step > tutorial. > The list of "General introductions" is very long and quite confusing. > > How I came to using org-mode? > > I am a newby (at least I still feel like one, although I'm working with > Emacs org-mode now for more than 1.5 years), so maybe my experience might > help here. > > I was a GTD user at first using other "GUI oriented" GTD software like > Thinking Rock, iGTD. iGTD had some problems and was not updated any more, > so > I started searching for a new tool and found Charles Cave's GTD tutorials > [1] (nearly 3 years ago, it seems!) and then started using org-mode since > Jan 2012. > I then found Bernt Hansen's excellent site and used his setup [2] for my > first steps with org-mode, but it was very hard to adapt the agendas and > settings to my needs (and I'm still struggling). > Furthermore, Sacha Chua's blog is very interesting and I'm often looking at > the worg tutorials page. > > So my first interest was todo/task/project management, but I quickly became > interested in note-taking, exporting, attachments, dired, bookmarks, > linking, ... > > My problems were (and still are): > a) I am one of those users, which have never been really working with Emacs > before, so at the beginning, it's very hard to understand the concept and > basic commands. > Many tutorials take for granted a lot of knowledge. > > b) I'm using two different OS's (Windows 7 at work and OS X 10.6 at home), > each one has its own problems when setting up advanced features. > It is especially difficult, to set up an efficient workflow to integrate MS > Outlook (Mails/Calendar) and Emacs org-mode... > > c) I'm only an engineer, not a professional programmer. My knowledge about > programming in general and elisp and Emacs configuration is still very > limited, unfortunately. see a) > > [1] http://members.optusnet.com.au/~charles57/GTD/gtd_workflow.html > [2] http://doc.norang.ca/org-mode.html > > Nevertheless thank you for this great tool and all the work you all put in > maintaining, extending, documenting and helping! > Org-mode changed my way of working and I never was so close to having a > good > and efficient system as I am now with org-mode. (as soon as long as I don't > have to search for the solution of a problem :( ) > > Kind regards > > Martin > > > Carsten Dominik gmail.com> writes: > > > and came away with the feeling that that this page has become > > somewhat useless for people who are really new to Org. > > > > Can we have a discussion here on how this path should look like? > > When you came to Org-mode as a newby, what were the three resources > > that really made an impression on by being accessible and > > providing feel and promise for digging deeper? > > > > >