* restoring clocks: should it work when the file is closed/opened and when emacs is restarted?
@ 2012-11-09 18:28 Kevin Buchs
From: Kevin Buchs @ 2012-11-09 18:28 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

I am keeping clocking information in an org-mode file. With a clock in
progress, I save the file, indicate I don't want to clock out and
close emacs. When I restart emacs and open the file, I get the message
"Restoring clock data", but when I try to clock out of the current
task it complains: "byte-code: No active clock". Is this the expected
behavior?

My init file has these relevant statements:
       (setq org-clock-persist 'history) ; save clocks when exiting
       (org-clock-persistence-insinuate) ; restore clocks when starting

(and I can reduce my init file to be about 5 lines in testing and I
see the same behavior: only other commands are setting up load-path to
hit my custom build of org-mode)

* Re: restoring clocks: should it work when the file is closed/opened and when emacs is restarted?
@ 2012-11-10  7:53 ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-11-10  7:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello Kevin,

Kevin Buchs wrote:
> I am keeping clocking information in an org-mode file. With a clock in
> progress, I save the file, indicate I don't want to clock out and
> close emacs. When I restart emacs and open the file, I get the message
> "Restoring clock data", but when I try to clock out of the current
> task it complains: "byte-code: No active clock". Is this the expected
> behavior?

No, it's not. But I must admit having *sometimes* similar quirks -- I *always*
clock time spent during work days, always. And I restart Emacs quite often
(these weeks, even much more, as I get crashes with Emacs, but that's another
story).

> My init file has these relevant statements:
>        (setq org-clock-persist 'history) ; save clocks when exiting
>        (org-clock-persistence-insinuate) ; restore clocks when starting
>
> (and I can reduce my init file to be about 5 lines in testing and I
> see the same behavior: only other commands are setting up load-path to
> hit my custom build of org-mode)

Please send your "ECM" (French for "Minimal Complete Example"):

- your 5-lines init file
- a minimal file with clocking information

and your recipe (steps) to reproduce the above problem in a predictable
manner.

As well, you could give information about your org-version...

Finally, you could be interested (or not) by adding this chunk of code to your
.emacs file in order to be prompted whether you want to clock out or not when
quitting Emacs:

#+begin_src emacs-lisp
  ;; ask the user if they wish to clock out before killing Emacs
  (defun my/org-clock-query-out ()
    "Ask the user before clocking out.
  This is a useful function for adding to `kill-emacs-query-functions'."
    (if (and
             (featurep 'org-clock)
             (funcall 'org-clocking-p)
             (y-or-n-p "You are currently clocking time, clock out? "))
        (org-clock-out)
      t)) ;; only fails on keyboard quit or error

  ;; timeclock.el puts this on the wrong hook!
  (add-hook 'kill-emacs-query-functions 'my/org-clock-query-out)
#+end_src

Best regards,
  Seb

--