* Rounding timeclock and moving to the end of the line
@ 2012-05-23 20:53 Kevin Buchs
From: Kevin Buchs @ 2012-05-23 20:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Org Mode

Hello group.

This is my first contribution to this email list.

Having a need to do my clocking in 1/4-hour multiples, I went and fully
implemented my own solution in org-mode BEFORE I realized that org-mode was
already set up to do it - it was just not completely implemented. I needed
to change a few (current-time) in org-clock-in (org-clock.el) to be
(org-current-time) and it works like a charm.

Here are the changes based on the development sources cloned via git today:

1198c1198
< (/ (- (org-float-time (org-current-time))
---
> (/ (- (org-float-time (current-time))
1202c1202
< (org-current-time)))
---
> (current-time)))

I have filled out the paperwork with FSF to be a developer in
emacs/org-mode.

My next project is to solve the problem that C-e does not move to the end
of the line with long lines that are not headings. I find myself doing this
often and have to hit multiple C-e s. I don't have the org-special-ctrl-a/e
set to non-nil. My line-move-visual is the default value of t, so I get the
end-of-visual-line movement one screen's worth. Before I make any changes,
I thought I should be clear on the design goals here. It seems as if the
declaration of line-move-visual says it is dealing with vertical motion,
not horizontal motion. I don't see any behavior elsewhere that uses the
interpretation that line-move-visual is for horizontal motion. Anyone have
thoughts on this subject?

- Kevin Buchs

* Re: Rounding timeclock and moving to the end of the line
@ 2012-05-24  9:25 ` Bastien
From: Bastien @ 2012-05-24  9:25 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kevin Buchs; +Cc: Org Mode

Hi Kevin,

Kevin Buchs <kevin.buchs.junk@gmail.com> writes:

> This is my first contribution to this email list.

Welcome!

> Having a need to do my clocking in 1/4-hour multiples, I went and
> fully implemented my own solution in org-mode BEFORE I realized that
> org-mode was already set up to do it - it was just not completely
> implemented. I needed to change a few (current-time) in org-clock-in
> (org-clock.el) to be (org-current-time) and it works like a charm.

What is your value of ̀org-time-stamp-rounding-minutes'?

Replacing (current-time) with (org-current-time) here will surprise
users that use ̀org-time-stamp-rounding-minutes' only for modifying
time-stamps and not for clocking in.

We could have an option for this, letting users decide whether they
want `org-time-stamp-rounding-minutes' to apply to clocking in.  Do
you want to work in this direction?

> Here are the changes based on the development sources cloned via git
> today:
>
> 1198c1198
> < (/ (- (org-float-time (org-current-time))
> ---
>> (/ (- (org-float-time (current-time))
> 1202c1202
> < (org-current-time)))
> ---
>> (current-time)))

For next patches, please use `C-x v =' from the modified buffer, it
creates a well formatted patch.  Also consider git format-patch for
bigger changes.  Please read this:

  http://orgmode.org/worg/org-contribute.html#sec-4

> I have filled out the paperwork with FSF to be a developer in emacs/
> org-mode.

Let us know when this is done.

> My next project is to solve the problem that C-e does not move to the
> end of the line with long lines that are not headings. I find myself
> doing this often and have to hit multiple C-e s. I don't have the
> org-special-ctrl-a/e set to non-nil. My line-move-visual is the
> default value of t, so I get the end-of-visual-line movement one
> screen's worth.

C-e always go to the end of ordinary lines here, with various values of
`org-special-ctrl-a/e' and `line-move-visual'.  Can you post a recipe
and an example file so that I can reprodce?

> Before I make any changes, I thought I should be
> clear on the design goals here. It seems as if the declaration of
> line-move-visual says it is dealing with vertical motion, not
> horizontal motion. I don't see any behavior elsewhere that uses the
> interpretation that line-move-visual is for horizontal motion. Anyone
> have thoughts on this subject?

I'm not sure I understand the issue correctly - thanks for further
details.

Best,

--
 Bastien

* Re: Rounding timeclock and moving to the end of the line
@ 2012-05-24 16:11   ` Kevin Buchs
From: Kevin Buchs @ 2012-05-24 16:11 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Bastien; +Cc: Org Mode