From: Laurens Van Houtven <_@lvh.io>
To: Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us>
Cc: emacs-orgmode@gnu.org
Subject: Re: Quotes for LaTeX export
Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 14:31:25 +0100	[thread overview]

On Wed, Feb 5, 2014 at 1:12 PM, Rasmus <rasmus@gmx.us> wrote:

> This is exactly the reasons why I don't want to use csquotes:
>
>      \enquote{something}.

I'm not sure I understand. Are you suggesting the syntax is bad?

But check for instance org-latex-tables-booktabs, which makes optional
> support for booktabs.  That kind of support for csquote is of course
> OK.  One reason I'd not use this is that the quotes exported to HTML
> and LaTeX are no longer in sync.  Which is why I'd rather see
> customization through a user smart quote alist.

Okay, that's a fair argument. It would require consistent configuration in
more than one place, unless (I think?) Org's LaTeX export automagically
use/configure Babel.

> >  > I think it would make sense to support this for org, and perhaps
> >> eventually
> me
> >>
> >> This has never happened to me, despite extensive usage of LaTeX for
> >> almost ten years.
> >>

> > This is a fairly new occurrence, and it is not true for all LaTeXes
> > currently available. The motivation is the one that I have given above:
>
> See below.
>
> > quotations are language-specific and semantic markup is preferable.
>
> Org already has semantic quote characters, namely '"' and "'".

Right: I'm talking about TeX and not org-mode there. The semantic way to
say "this is quoted" is csquotes and \enquote.

Are those code points U+0022 QUOTATION MARK and U+0027 APOSTROPHE? (I am
not an org-mode expert. I'm assuming org-mode does operate on code points,
not bytes?)

   \documentclass{article}
>    \usepackage{fontspec}
>    \addfontfeatures{Mapping=}
>    \addfontfeatures{Ligatures=}
>    \begin{document}
>    ``test''
>    \end{document}
>
> Could you share a snip that reproduces your problem?

That appears to compile correctly on my machine as well. Perhaps there is a
discrepancy between how I'm building the tex file and how org is building
the intermediary tex file. I will investigate :)

thanks again
lvh