* Bug: New Exporter macro expansion
@ 2012-10-04 19:44 Jonathan Leech-Pepin
From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin @ 2012-10-04 19:44 UTC (permalink / raw)

Hello all,

I've found a few issues with the new exporter (tested using
org-e-latex and org-e-ascii) with regards to macro expansion on
export.

Using the minimal org file below with Org-mode version 7.9.2
(release_7.9.2-402-ge5e49e @ d:/Apps/Emacs/site-lisp/org/) certain
macros do not expand as expected.

#+begin_src org
  ,#+TITLE: Test
  ,#+author: testing
  ,#+macro: sample export this text
  ,#+macro: sample2 {{{sample}}} and this text
  ,#+macro: table | hello | goodbye |
  ,#+macro: table2 | hello | {{{sample}}} |

  ,* Sample headline

  {{{title}}}

  | Test          |            1 |
  | {{{TITLE}}}   | {{{sample}}} |
  {{{table}}}
  {{{table2}}}
#+end_src

{{{title}}}, as well as {{{author}}} do not expand at all when
exporting.  In addition macros within table cells are treated as empty
text.

Jon

* Re: Bug: New Exporter macro expansion
@ 2012-10-06  8:34 ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-10-06  8:34 UTC (permalink / raw)

Jonathan Leech-Pepin <jonathan.leechpepin@gmail.com> writes:

> Hello all,
>
> I've found a few issues with the new exporter (tested using
> org-e-latex and org-e-ascii) with regards to macro expansion on
> export.
>
> Using the minimal org file below with Org-mode version 7.9.2
> (release_7.9.2-402-ge5e49e @ d:/Apps/Emacs/site-lisp/org/) certain
> macros do not expand as expected.
>
> #+begin_src org
>   ,#+TITLE: Test
>   ,#+author: testing
>   ,#+macro: sample export this text
>   ,#+macro: sample2 {{{sample}}} and this text
>   ,#+macro: table | hello | goodbye |
>   ,#+macro: table2 | hello | {{{sample}}} |
>
>   ,* Sample headline
>
>   {{{title}}}
>
>   | Test          |            1 |
>   | {{{TITLE}}}   | {{{sample}}} |
>   {{{table}}}
>   {{{table2}}}
> #+end_src
>
> {{{title}}}, as well as {{{author}}} do not expand at all when
> exporting.  In addition macros within table cells are treated as empty
> text.

This should be fixed now. Thank you for the report.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Bug: New Exporter macro expansion
@ 2012-10-06  8:53   ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-10-06  8:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hi Nicolas,

Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Jonathan Leech-Pepin <jonathan.leechpepin-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I've found a few issues with the new exporter (tested using
>> org-e-latex and org-e-ascii) with regards to macro expansion on
>> export.
>>
>> Using the minimal org file below with Org-mode version 7.9.2
>> (release_7.9.2-402-ge5e49e @ d:/Apps/Emacs/site-lisp/org/) certain
>> macros do not expand as expected.
>>
>> #+begin_src org
>>   ,#+TITLE: Test
>>   ,#+author: testing
>>   ,#+macro: sample export this text
>>   ,#+macro: sample2 {{{sample}}} and this text
>>   ,#+macro: table | hello | goodbye |
>>   ,#+macro: table2 | hello | {{{sample}}} |
>>
>>   ,* Sample headline
>>
>>   {{{title}}}
>>
>>   | Test          |            1 |
>>   | {{{TITLE}}}   | {{{sample}}} |
>>   {{{table}}}
>>   {{{table2}}}
>> #+end_src
>>
>> {{{title}}}, as well as {{{author}}} do not expand at all when
>> exporting.  In addition macros within table cells are treated as empty
>> text.
>
> This should be fixed now. Thank you for the report.

Did you go further in the thinking about what the macros will support in the
future?  Such as: multiline macros, recursive macros, Babel blocks, etc.

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Bug: New Exporter macro expansion
@ 2012-10-06  9:29     ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-10-06  9:29 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

"Sebastien Vauban"
<wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Did you go further in the thinking about what the macros will support in the
> future?  Such as: multiline macros, recursive macros, Babel blocks,
> etc.

Macro expansion is already recursive.

I think multiline macros are not needed, as they would be redundant with
Babel. Despite what is written (for now) in the documentation, macros
should be used for simple replacements, and Babel machinery for
everything else.

Though, you can have a macro expand to a one-line Babel call if you want
to.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Bug: New Exporter macro expansion
@ 2012-10-09 14:53       ` Jonathan Leech-Pepin
From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin @ 2012-10-09 14:53 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Nicolas Goaziou; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ, Sebastien Vauban

Hello,

On 6 October 2012 05:29, Nicolas Goaziou <n.goaziou@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> "Sebastien Vauban"
> <wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> Did you go further in the thinking about what the macros will support in the
>> future?  Such as: multiline macros, recursive macros, Babel blocks,
>> etc.
>
> Macro expansion is already recursive.
>
> I think multiline macros are not needed, as they would be redundant with
> Babel. Despite what is written (for now) in the documentation, macros
> should be used for simple replacements, and Babel machinery for
> everything else.
>
> Though, you can have a macro expand to a one-line Babel call if you want
> to.

Thank you for the fix.

I do however have one other issue that I seem to recall working in the previous
exporter.

If I use #+INCLUDE: "./macros.org" to store a list of common macros for
several files they will not appear in the exported document.  Is this intended?

@ 2012-10-10 11:59         ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-10-10 11:59 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Jonathan Leech-Pepin; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ, Sebastien Vauban

Hello,

Jonathan Leech-Pepin <jonathan.leechpepin@gmail.com> writes:

> I do however have one other issue that I seem to recall working in the previous
> exporter.
>
> If I use #+INCLUDE: "./macros.org" to store a list of common macros for
> several files they will not appear in the exported document.  Is this
> intended?

Not really intended. That's because include keywords expansion was
happening after macro expansion (see `org-export-as').

It should be fixed now. Thanks for reporting it.

Nicolas Goaziou

* Re: Bug: New Exporter macro expansion
@ 2012-10-10 19:10           ` Sebastien Vauban
From: Sebastien Vauban @ 2012-10-10 19:10 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Nicolas and Jonathan,

Nicolas Goaziou wrote:
> Jonathan Leech-Pepin <jonathan.leechpepin-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w@public.gmane.org> writes:
>
>> I do however have one other issue that I seem to recall working in the previous
>> exporter.
>>
>> If I use #+INCLUDE: "./macros.org" to store a list of common macros for
>> several files they will not appear in the exported document.  Is this
>> intended?
>
> Not really intended. That's because include keywords expansion was
> happening after macro expansion (see `org-export-as').

Shouldn't macros be included via SETUPFILE?  I've always considered that
INCLUDE was for the (sort of) text part, while SETUPFILE for the keywords
part.

Are there constraints on what we can include via which mechanism?

Best regards,
  Seb

--
Sebastien Vauban

* Re: Bug: New Exporter macro expansion
@ 2012-10-10 20:38             ` Nicolas Goaziou
From: Nicolas Goaziou @ 2012-10-10 20:38 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Sebastien Vauban; +Cc: public-emacs-orgmode-mXXj517/zsQ

Hello,

"Sebastien Vauban"
<wxhgmqzgwmuf-geNee64TY+gS+FvcfC7Uqw@public.gmane.org> writes:

> Shouldn't macros be included via SETUPFILE?  I've always considered that
> INCLUDE was for the (sort of) text part, while SETUPFILE for the keywords
> part.
>
> Are there constraints on what we can include via which mechanism?

You include anything with #+INCLUDE:. You are limited to some keywords
with #+SETUPFILE.

For now, #+SETUP_FILE doesn't handle macros in the new exporter. It
should, but I want to remove the keyword in favor of #+INCLUDE anyway.
See the other thread about it.

Nicolas Goaziou