From: Jonathan Leech-Pepin <jonathan.leechpepin@gmail.com>
To: "Thomas S. Dye" <tsd@tsdye.com>
Cc: Org-mode <emacs-orgmode@gnu.org>
Subject: Re: [new exporter][texinfo] Macro definition section
Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2012 13:39:36 -0500	[thread overview]

Hello Tom

On 12 November 2012 13:03, Thomas S. Dye <tsd@tsdye.com> wrote:

> Aloha Jon,
>
> I'm working on an Org version of the Org manual that (hopefully) can be
> used to generate the required texinfo version.
>
> My goal at this point is to export a document that matches org.texi.

Do you want it to match org.texi exactly?  Or that the generated info
document end up matching?

> My problem is not with the macro definitions, which can be wrapped as
> you point out.  It is with their placement in org.texi between @finalout
> and @copying.  IIUC, this should happen around line 670 of
> org-e-texinfo.el, but the code seems to expect that there are two blank
> lines between these commands and no macro definitions or other material.

I didn't mean wrapping the macro definitions themselves.  I meant
replacing the macro definitions with equivalent Org macros.

For example the =orgcmd{key,command}= macro could be replaced with
something like (ommiting the ifset and iftex logic):

#+MACRO: tkbd @@info:@kbd{@@$1@@info:}@@
#+MACRO: tcode @@info:@code{@@$1@@info:}@@
#+MACRO: tkindex @@info:@kindex $1@@
#+MACRO: tfindex @@info:@findex $1@@

# - instead of @item since items are list elements
#+MACRO: orgcmd {{{tkindex($1)}}}\\{{{tfindex($2)}}}\\- {{{tkbd($1)}}}
{{{tcode($2)}}}

And you could them use {{{orgcmd(C-c C-r,org-reveal)}}} (org.texi line
1316).  It would also then be backend agnostic, since non-texinfo
exporters would be read the line as:

- $1      $2

Would that work for your needs?  Or would you rather still be able to
generate the macros themselves for use on export?

> In view of my goal, it would be nice to have something like
> #+TEXINFO_POST_HEADER that would pass the macro definitions through to
> this location in the texinfo document.
>
> All the best,
> Tom

Jon