Hello, On 2 September 2014 08:42, Rasmus wrote: > Rainer M Krug writes: > > > Oleh writes: > > > >>> I know that I could use org-babel-load-file, or outshine. What are > >>> other possibilities? What are the caveats (and advantages) of both > >>> (other?) ways? > >> > >> I'm using a one .el file per mode approach, with around 4000 lines > >> split into 40 files. > >> > >> This approach simplifies things a lot: for instance I haven't touched > >> Javascript in ages, but all my customizations for it are sitting in > >> javascript.el without getting in the way of the stuff that I'm using > >> now. They aren't even loaded unless I open a js file. > > > > Interesting - is your configuration online, so that one could take a > > look at it? I did not find them on your github page? > > > > Or how do you do it, that the e.g. javascript.el is only loaded when a > > js file is opened? Because this is exactly what I would like to have. > > How about something like this: > > (with-eval-after-load 'js-mode (load "javascript.el")) > > Use eval-after-load if you are using an older Emacs. Note I don't > know if there's anything called js-mode. . . > I've been using use-package (https://github.com/jwiegley/use-package) for only loading the various package-specific configurations when needed. For that example it would be: (use-package js-mode :mode ("\\.js\\'" . js-mode) :config (require 'javascript) ;; or (load "javascript.el") if not provided ) In my case it's still all in my init.el (with Outshine headings for each mode that use-package manages), but could easily extract the portions into their own files (especially for larger configurations like org) Regards, Jon