Hello On 25 February 2013 16:48, Subhan Tindall wrote: > I don't think there is a specific context that can clearly separate > them. The differences are largely semantic, not syntactic. What is > needed is some sort of marker on the tag in the original file telling > it what kind of link is to be used. > Agreed, although there is a semi-syntactic method potentially. > > On Mon, Feb 25, 2013 at 1:38 PM, Nicolas Goaziou > wrote: > > Hello, > > > > Jonathan Leech-Pepin writes: > > > >> I had to compare these possible outcomes when working on the texinfo > >> exporter. Since links are parsed before being included in their > >> paragraphs, I did not have a way to obtain context and therefore > >> attempt to guess (and be successful) at which type of reference was > >> intended by a link in Org. > > > > What kind of context would you need to know? The string that will be > > exported just before the current ref link? > > For @xref{} I would need to know if it was at the start of a sentence and followed by a comma or period. For @pxref{} I would need to determine if it was at end of sentence, mid sentence followed by a comma or within parentheses, and not preceeded by "see" or "see". Although even this would not suffice, since there are contexts where @ref{} is the better choice. Allowing for attributes on the links would allow for differentiating, however the alternative (which is the current behaviour) is just to create them all as @ref{} and then include the semantic context (See, see or nil) as appropriate for export. Regards, Jon > > Regards, > > > > -- > > Nicolas Goaziou > > > > -- > Subhan Michael Tindall | Software Developer > | smt@rentrakmail.com > RENTRAK | www.rentrak.com | NASDAQ: RENT >