Thanks, I don't have any problems now, so we can consider this closed. On Sat, Mar 16, 2024 at 2:32 PM Ihor Radchenko wrote: > Rudi C writes: > > > ... runs `evil-shift-right`, which > > indents the selected region by the `evil-shift-width` amount. > > `evil-shift-width` is set based on `tab-width`. > > Are you sure? > I am looking at > https://github.com/emacs-evil/evil/blob/master/evil-vars.el#L175 > and it appears that `evil-shift-width' has nothing to do with > `tab-width'. It is a customization with default value of 4. > > Also, do note that `evil-shift-width' in python code blocks may break > things when the code block itself is also indented. Org mode normally > discards this common indentation and takes care about distinguishing > (and not merging!) the tabs belonging to the code itself and the > tabs/spaces that are used to indent the whole code block: > > This whole code block is indented > #+begin_src python > def foo(): > if True: > return 1; > #+end_src > > Indentation in Org mode blocks can be tricky and generic editing > commands may not cut it. Org mode itself does the indentation using the > code block's major mode in a separate buffer in order to keep things > consistent. > > > ... I solved this specific > > problem by overriding `evil-shift-width` using a timer in an org-mode > hook. > > The delay introduced by the timer was necessary, as something kept > > overriding my settings. Perhaps the magic machinery that sets `tab-width` > > in the source blocks can also set `evil-shift-width`. The best-case > > scenario would be to have a list of variables that need to be set from > > their major-mode buffer in the source blocks. > > Why not simply setting `evil-shift-width' to 4? > > >> May you please provide a detailed example where 8 spaces causes issues? > > > > My lists are still indenting with 2 spaces, so I am not actually seeing 8 > > spaces. I have no idea why that is, but I very much like the 2-space > > indentation. > > > > ``` > > - a > > - b > > ``` > > > > I see 4 spaces in numerical lists, which again, I have no idea about: > > > > ``` > > 1. hi > > 2. hi > > 3. hi > > ``` > > Org mode aligns child sub-lists with parent item text. So, "-" is right > below "a" and "2." is right below "hi". List depth is not defined by the > absolute number of spaces/tabs. > See https://orgmode.org/manual/Plain-Lists.html > > -- > Ihor Radchenko // yantar92, > Org mode contributor, > Learn more about Org mode at . > Support Org development at , > or support my work at >