`evil-org->` doesn't matter per se. It runs `evil-shift-right`, which indents the selected region by the `evil-shift-width` amount. `evil-shift-width` is set based on `tab-width`. I solved this specific problem by overriding `evil-shift-width` using a timer in an org-mode hook. The delay introduced by the timer was necessary, as something kept overriding my settings. Perhaps the magic machinery that sets `tab-width` in the source blocks can also set `evil-shift-width`. The best-case scenario would be to have a list of variables that need to be set from their major-mode buffer in the source blocks. > May you please provide a detailed example where 8 spaces causes issues? My lists are still indenting with 2 spaces, so I am not actually seeing 8 spaces. I have no idea why that is, but I very much like the 2-space indentation. ``` - a - b ``` I see 4 spaces in numerical lists, which again, I have no idea about: ``` 1. hi 2. hi 3. hi ``` So I don't see the effects of `tab-width` anywhere except in `evil-shift-width`, as far as I can see currently. On Sat, Mar 16, 2024 at 1:11 PM Ihor Radchenko wrote: > Rudi C writes: > > > Recently, a breaking change has been introduced in Org mode that sets the > > default tab-width to 8 spaces ( > > https://list.orgmode.org/orgmode/8734y5d2gs.fsf@localhost/). This change > > has made using Python source blocks in Org mode challenging, as > operations > > like `evil-org->` rely on `tab-width`, and Python code conventions > > typically use 4 spaces for indentation. > > May you please provide more details on what exactly "evil-org->" refers > to and what specific problems you encountered? > > > Moreover, using 8 spaces for indentation is generally unsuitable for > small > > laptop screens, where screen real estate is of utmost importance. > > May you please provide a detailed example where 8 spaces causes issues? > In source blocks specifically, we make sure that tab width visually > looks as in the corresponding source code buffer. > > -- > Ihor Radchenko // yantar92, > Org mode contributor, > Learn more about Org mode at . > Support Org development at , > or support my work at >