Bastien, thanks for the response and the explanation. Looks like getting org-mode recognize the ">" prefix as a demarcator of a code block isn't the right approach then. What about John Hendy's suggestion of finding a face I like, and then adding "^> text..." to the list of things org fontifies with that style? ('In other words, add "^> text" regexp to the existing hunt for lines that start with #+ in order to get src code fontification applied.') Is this feasible? If so, how would I go about doing this? Sorry for the newbie question. I'm looking in org-faces, and I don't see anywhere where I can specify the prefix characters org looks for... John Hendy wrote: > The easiet would be to find a face you like and just add "^> text..." to the existing list of things org already fontifies with that style. In other words, add "^> text" regexp to the existing hunt for lines that start with #+ in order to get src code fontification applied. On Mon, Feb 11, 2013 at 10:54 AM, Bastien wrote: > Hi Peter, > > Peter Salazar writes: > > > Now the question is: How do I make org-mode recognize the ">" prefix > > as a demarcator of a code block, so that my document remains readable > > as Markdown? > > You can't -- using ":" as the prefix for fixed-width regions is > hardcoded. If we allow to customize this, it will lower the > "exchangeability" of .org files between users (this exchangeability > is already quite low due to the many options user have.) > > Best, > > -- > Bastien >