Hi Matt, if you are considering using a little language to create window configurations then maybe you will find this interesting: http://angg.twu.net/eev-intros/find-multiwindow-intro.html http://angg.twu.net/eev-current/eev-multiwindow.el.html Cheers! Eduardo Ochs eduardoochs@gmail.com http://angg.twu.net/#eev On Sat, Dec 1, 2012 at 1:22 PM, Matt Price wrote: > Hi, > > After the recent conversation about Scrivener (on help-gnu-emacs) I > thought the very first step would be to write a simple function that > would create a window layout and populate the windows with a set of > buffers, then set mjor and minor modes for some of hte buffers. > (After that I guess I will have to figure out how to write some very > simple minor modes, or at least some functions that allow e.g. direct > editing of org-mode properties on a selected node.) > > So, what I have so far is quite trivial but doesn't seem to work > exactly as I expected: > > (delete-other-windows) > (split-window-horizontally) > (windmove-right) > (split-window-horizontally) > (enlarge-window-horizontally 20) > (windmove-right) > (split-window-vertically) > > > Anyway presumably I'll fiddle with this and eventually it will work, > but something better would be > > (set-window-name "outline") > (split-named-window-horizontally-and-name-the-other-window "outline" > "main") > (split-named-window-horizontally-and-name-the-other-window "main" > "metadata") > (set-width-named-window "main" 60) > > and then write a function, bound to say Ctrl-Enter, > > open-node-as-indirect-buffer-in-named-window > > Anyway: is it possible to give/get a name for a window that persists > long enough to be called in functions? > > Thanks, > Matt > >