* Bug: no math-mode detection for align-environment [9.3.7 (9.3.7-13-ge62ca4-elpaplus @ /home/stefi/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20200713/)]
@ 2020-07-14 11:49 Stefi
From: Stefi @ 2020-07-14 11:49 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Hi there,

I recently updated my emacs packages and noticed that \begin{align*}
does not trigger math-mode detection any more, so org-cdlatex does not
work. However, begin{equation} still does trigger the math-mode
detection. I have read the documentation of
"org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p" and found something about matchers, but
nothing about equation or align environment and why it might be treated
differently for math-mode detection.

My test-file.org:
----8<---------8<---------8<---------8<-----

* blabla
 \begin{equation}
\label{eq:1} \frac{}{}
test_{cds} \frac{}{}
\end{equation}

\begin{align}
\label{eq:2}
test$_d$ fr
\end{align}

$\frac{}{} fds_{fdsf} \frac{}{}$

\begin{align*}
fr
\end{align*}

----8<---------8<---------8<---------8<-----

- detection works for: \begin{equation}, $$, \[\] (not in testfile)
- detection does not work for: \begin{align}, begin{align*}; subscript _
  does insert extra $_{}$, which it should not in math mode, and fr does
  not get expanded to \frac{}{}

Emacs  : GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20)
 of 2020-05-19
Package: Org mode version 9.3.7 (9.3.7-13-ge62ca4-elpaplus @
/home/stefi/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20200713/)

Kind regards,
stefi

* Re: Bug: no math-mode detection for align-environment [9.3.7 (9.3.7-13-ge62ca4-elpaplus @ /home/stefi/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20200713/)]
  2020-07-14 11:49 Bug: no math-mode detection for align-environment [9.3.7 (9.3.7-13-ge62ca4-elpaplus @ /home/stefi/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20200713/)] Stefi
@ 2020-07-29  3:12 ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-07-29  3:12 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Stefi writes:

> I recently updated my emacs packages and noticed that \begin{align*}
> does not trigger math-mode detection any more, so org-cdlatex does not
> work. However, begin{equation} still does trigger the math-mode
> detection. I have read the documentation of
> "org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p" and found something about matchers, but
> nothing about equation or align environment and why it might be treated
> differently for math-mode detection.

The default value for :matches is ("begin" "$1" "$" "$$" "\\(" "\\[").
It looks like the value hasn't been touched in a long time, and that
AFAICT the "begin" should cover "align" just as it covers "equation".
And I'm not spotting any recent changes on Org's end that should affect
this.

> My test-file.org:
> ----8<---------8<---------8<---------8<-----
>
> * blabla
>  \begin{equation}
> \label{eq:1} \frac{}{}
> test_{cds} \frac{}{}
> \end{equation}
>
> \begin{align}
> \label{eq:2}
> test$_d$ fr
> \end{align}
>
> $\frac{}{} fds_{fdsf} \frac{}{}$
>
> \begin{align*}
> fr
> \end{align*}
>

> ----8<---------8<---------8<---------8<-----
>
> - detection works for: \begin{equation}, $$, \[\] (not in testfile)
> - detection does not work for: \begin{align}, begin{align*}; subscript _
>   does insert extra $_{}$, which it should not in math mode, and fr does
>   not get expanded to \frac{}{}
>
> Emacs  : GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20)
>  of 2020-05-19
> Package: Org mode version 9.3.7 (9.3.7-13-ge62ca4-elpaplus @
> /home/stefi/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20200713/)

On master, maint, and the commit matching your reported version
(e62ca4), I tried org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p within each block of your
test file, and it returns non-nil, including in the align and align*
blocks.  So I dunno...

Could some org-cdlatex users out there give the test file a try?

@ 2020-08-05 20:19   ` Rafael
From: Rafael @ 2020-08-05 20:19 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: emacs-orgmode

Kyle Meyer <kyle@kyleam.com> writes:

> Stefi writes:
>
>> I recently updated my emacs packages and noticed that \begin{align*}
>> does not trigger math-mode detection any more, so org-cdlatex does not
>> work. However, begin{equation} still does trigger the math-mode
>> detection. I have read the documentation of
>> "org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p" and found something about matchers, but
>> nothing about equation or align environment and why it might be treated
>> differently for math-mode detection.
>
> The default value for :matches is ("begin" "$1" "$" "$$" "\\(" "\\[").
> It looks like the value hasn't been touched in a long time, and that
> AFAICT the "begin" should cover "align" just as it covers "equation".
> And I'm not spotting any recent changes on Org's end that should affect
> this.
>
>> My test-file.org:
>> ----8<---------8<---------8<---------8<-----
>>
>> * blabla
>>  \begin{equation}
>> \label{eq:1} \frac{}{}
>> test_{cds} \frac{}{}
>> \end{equation}
>>
>> \begin{align}
>> \label{eq:2}
>> test$_d$ fr
>> \end{align}
>>
>> $\frac{}{} fds_{fdsf} \frac{}{}$
>>
>> \begin{align*}
>> fr
>> \end{align*}
>>

>> ----8<---------8<---------8<---------8<-----
>>
>> - detection works for: \begin{equation}, $$, \[\] (not in testfile)
>> - detection does not work for: \begin{align}, begin{align*}; subscript _
>>   does insert extra $_{}$, which it should not in math mode, and fr does
>>   not get expanded to \frac{}{}
>>
>> Emacs  : GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 1, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.24.20)
>>  of 2020-05-19
>> Package: Org mode version 9.3.7 (9.3.7-13-ge62ca4-elpaplus @
>> /home/stefi/.emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20200713/)
>
> On master, maint, and the commit matching your reported version
> (e62ca4), I tried org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p within each block of your
> test file, and it returns non-nil, including in the align and align*
> blocks.  So I dunno...
>
> Could some org-cdlatex users out there give the test file a try?

I can confirm that with
Org mode version 9.3.7 (9.3.7-16-g521d7f-elpaplus @
/home/rafael/Documents/new-emacs.d/elpa/org-plus-contrib-20200803/)
and
GNU Emacs 26.3 (build 2, x86_64-pc-linux-gnu, GTK+ Version 3.18.9) of
2019-12-23
and using org-cdlatex, fr does not expand inside align but it does
inside equation, just as Stefi says.

@ 2020-08-10 10:50   ` Stefi
From: Stefi @ 2020-08-10 10:50 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Hi Kyle, hi mailing list,

I also evaluated (org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p) and got non-nil values
for all blocks, however, inside the align* environment, the "fr" does
not get expanded on TAB whereas it does in equation environment. So
either the matchers do not include align/align*, or there is something
different now with cdlatex.

Btw, this is what I got from evaluation:

(#("\\begin{align*} 0 14 (fontified t line-prefix #("    " 0 4 ...)
wrap-prefix # ("    " 0 4 ...))) . 15791)

and

(#("\\begin{equation} 0 16 (fontified t line-prefix #("    " 0 4 ...)
wrap-prefix # ("    " 0 4 ...))) . 15824)

Does someone know how to find and configure the matchers?

I am pretty sure it worked before with align* environment, as I am using
it all the time :)

regards

@ 2020-08-26  3:44     ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-08-26  3:44 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Stefi writes:

> Hi Kyle, hi mailing list,
>
> I also evaluated (org-inside-LaTeX-fragment-p) and got non-nil values
> for all blocks, however, inside the align* environment, the "fr" does
> not get expanded on TAB whereas it does in equation environment. So
> either the matchers do not include align/align*, or there is something
> different now with cdlatex.

I'm leaning towards there being something different with cdlatex.

I've now installed cdlatex from
<https://staff.fnwi.uva.nl/c.dominik/Tools/cdlatex/cdlatex.el>.  The
file header says the version is 4.8, and the file's md5sum is
9246a4e9f30c9589406783ffd5270641.

I tried your example file with this minimal configuration:

    (require 'org)
    (add-hook 'org-mode-hook (lambda () (org-cdlatex-mode 1)))
    (require 'edebug)
    (edebug-instrument-function 'org-try-cdlatex-tab)

As you and Rafael report, "fr => \frac{}{}" is not expanded in the align
or align* environments, while it is expanded in the equation
environment.  However, stepping through the org-try-cdlatex-tab call,
cdlatex-tab is called in all cases.  So it would seem that something has
changed downstream.

In line with this idea, I observed the same behavior with both the
latest commit of the master branch (cdfc404be) and v9.2 (released in Dec
2018).  Also, as I mentioned in earlier in the thread, I don't see any
recent changes on Org's side related to the cdlatex functionality.

@ 2020-08-26 18:05       ` Stefi
From: Stefi @ 2020-08-26 18:05 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

I can also confirm that org-try-cdlatex-tab outputs "t" in all cases but
does not expand in align environment.

I noticed that cdlatex-env-alist-default does not include the align
environment. I tried to add it to "Cdlatex Env Alist" in the customize
browser but it did not change the behavior to what I expect.

I skimmed through cdlatex.el but did not find anything suspicious. I am
not a hardcore lisp coder though.

@ 2020-08-27 11:39       ` Stefi
From: Stefi @ 2020-08-27 11:39 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

It might be a change to texmathp.el. It is part of Auctex and checks if
math mode is on or off. I could not find align environment in the list
of default environments. Maybe that has changed.

However, I added align and align* to "Texmathp Tex Commands" from the
customize browser (open a .tex file to customize auctex). Tab-expansion
is working now. Can anyone confirm?

In my .emacs, it added to custom-set-variables:
'(texmathp-tex-commands (quote (("align*" env-on) ("align" env-on))))

@ 2020-08-28  5:08         ` Kyle Meyer
From: Kyle Meyer @ 2020-08-28  5:08 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Stefi; +Cc: emacs-orgmode

Stefi writes:

> It might be a change to texmathp.el. It is part of Auctex and checks if
> math mode is on or off. I could not find align environment in the list
> of default environments. Maybe that has changed.
>
> However, I added align and align* to "Texmathp Tex Commands" from the
> customize browser (open a .tex file to customize auctex). Tab-expansion
> is working now. Can anyone confirm?
>
> In my .emacs, it added to custom-set-variables:
> '(texmathp-tex-commands (quote (("align*" env-on) ("align" env-on))))

Yes, that results in expansion on my end as well.

It looks like this issue was introduced with AUCTeX's 91701704 (Delete
overhead in extending font lock range of math expression, 2020-06-11).
If you're getting AUCTeX from ELPA, the regression is included the
current version there (12.2.4, 2020-06-29).

At the start of this month, it was fixed in f04a508f (Restore all math
environments in texmathp.el, 2020-08-01), so the issue should go away
with the next update that lands on ELPA.

@ 2020-08-28  6:55           ` Carsten Dominik
From: Carsten Dominik @ 2020-08-28  6:55 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Kyle Meyer; +Cc: Stefi, org-mode list

AUCTeX has taken back this change, realizing that texmathp.el is also used
in contexts where the mechanisms of AUCTeX to find out about LaTeX packages
being used does not work.  I do think this is already fixed in the latest
AUCTeX version.  At least it is fixed in their git.

- Carsten

Carsten

@ 2020-08-29 13:27             ` Stefi
From: Stefi @ 2020-08-29 13:27 UTC (permalink / raw)
  To: Carsten Dominik, Kyle Meyer; +Cc: org-mode list

Great news! So this problem will just go away by itself then. Until then
I will use the texmathp-tex-commands solution as a workaround.

Thank you everyone for sharing your thoughts!